Home > Trip Reports > Hidden Lake, North Cascades, 2/19

Hidden Lake, North Cascades, 2/19

2/15/10
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by cchapin on 2/20/10 1:52am
My girl and I decided to do a tour for Hidden Lake and the lookout.

We drove all the way to the trail head.  The last half mile still had some icy snow on it.

We booted up from 3600'-4300'.  The trail is icy.  4000'-4250' was really tough because there was black ice everywhere and the ground was essentially frozen.  We descended this section at 4:30-5:00pm and it hadn't softened up much.  I would recommend bringing crampons for this part of the trail.  Around 4250' we left the forest canopy and ice (to much relief).  From here on up we skinned to about 6600', where we looked down on Hidden Lake.  We decided not to go for the lookout on Hidden Peak.  There was a group of 4 that were climbing to the lookout for an overnight stay we guessed.

Various places with avy debris, mostly in the East Fork Sibley Creek valley (that whole place is a terrain trap).  We didn't see anything move.

Snow had a soft, breakable crust on it, which varied from half inch to 2-3" inches thick.  Lots of wind packed, hard snow above 5000', many spots of wind scoured snow, and some spots with lightly consolidated powder.  5000'-4300' felt a lot like corn and the turns were very enjoyable here.

Great day to be out with some great views!

http://picasaweb.google.com/radka.enriquez/HiddenLakeSkiTripNorthCascadesFebruary192010#
Is that the HIdden Lake with the Fire Lookout at the top of the nearby peak?  And if so...is that fire-lookout open at all in the winter?  I suspect not given the avi terrain that surrounds it.

author=savegondor link=topic=15689.msg65536#msg65536 date=1266702147]
...is that fire-lookout open at all in the winter? 

The FS says you can stay the lookouts, but access to them might be sketchy (e.g., this one sometimes and especially Three Fingers). The lookouts are not locked, but are winterized with shudders on windows (and door). You have to reach underneath the shudder to get in so it can be kind of difficult especially if there is lots of deposited snow.

Yep, it's off of Cascade River Road.  Definitely a potentially dangerous peak\lookout to access if the conditions aren't stable.  The climbers we saw accessed the east ridge of it by crossing a N-NE aspect slope, with perfect angles, and a run out onto the frozen lake.

Reply to this TR

hidden-lake-north-cascades-2-19
cchapin
2010-02-20 09:52:10