Home > Trip Reports > May 15, 2004, Mt. Rainier - Muir Snowfields

May 15, 2004, Mt. Rainier - Muir Snowfields

5/15/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by snoslut on 5/16/04 7:42pm
Just wanted to get out for some exercise.  Forcast turned for the worse so maybe I was going to find some freshies.  I planned on meeting Jim (jimjar) and tele Amy somewhere along the trail.  I started hiking later than I wanted but was on my way by 8:30am.  Was white out with visibility between 50 and 100ft.  Temps felt like in the low 40's upper 30's.  I told Jim to call on radio for conditions report.

Well it was easier to hike than skin in the beginning.  Snow was firm and there were boot tracks everywhere.  I started skinning just past the traverse around first hill on skiers left.  Was good skin conditions up till base of Pan Pt from there.  At the base visibility was less than 50ft and voices could be heard in the distance.  As I made my way to top of Pan Pt I noticed how much snow had melted since last Saturday.  I am going to say at least 2 feet gone because places I boarded last weekend were boulder fields now.  Anyway instead of following traditional summer trail all the way to Pebble Creek, which is partially exposed and marked with wands, I veered right after a short boot to gain access to the stacked rock monument on top of Pan Pt.  From there I skinned up to and thru Pebble Creek gully.  I heard everyone booting up PC which didn't look like fun.  Anyway I passed a splitboarder and skier who started to follow me from base of Pebble Creek.  When I heard their voices contemplating which way to go I stopped to wait.  Skinned with them until base of Moon Rocks.  By then I was caught by one of my co-workers, and his buddies, who were training for the climb for free air thing.  I continued for another 200ft or so and turned back to find Jim and Amy coming into view.  So myself, Jim, and Amy all agreed that this would be a could turn around point.  Weather was turning for the worse.  Snow and wind picked up and temps started to drop.  After finding some shelter and having a little lunch we started our descent.  Must have been between 12:30 and 1pm.  Since I felt comfy with terrain and weather conditions I led.  Sorry for going too fast at times Jim and Amy.  Was sketch at times but you managed to find me everytime.  I should have wore my moonstone hunter orange (so bright I'll glow underneath the snow) jacket.  But I have this thing about wearing outfits where everything matches ie: pants, boots, jacket, hat, etc. like a fassion nugget.;D   Anyway I basically would ride until the rock outcroppings (on skiers left) would appear and then head back towards the wands.  Now we arrived at the top of Pebble Creek and proceeded down the gully but trying to stay high on skiers left so we wouldn't have to boot any sections.  Well that worked until Jim got seperated from Amy and I.  Well I was confident that Jim could find his way down, which he did.  I was more worried about our newcomer friend Amy.  Well she turned out to be a real trooper.  Amy followed me as we descended Pan Pt, in style, and tried to find our way back to Paradise parking lot.  Was still white out with crappy visibility.  I have to admit even I got a little disoriented and had to climb a knoll to get some idea of where we were at.  Once I saw some tents I knew that it was okay.  So we glissaded down, Amy thought this was best part of trip, and started to head down when we came upon some skiers who were apparently lost.  They knew where they started from but had no idea where they had been and how to get back.  I told them what summer trail they were on and pointed in the direction of the parking lot and were off.  When we arrived Jim was waiting and was sure glad to see us.  Amy and I were all smiles.

Overall snow conditions around 9200ft. were few inches at most on top of uneven softened crust.  Wind effects were clearly visible and felt underneath.  After about a 1000ft or so surface conditions improved slightly with few inches on top of smoother crust.  These conditions lasted until Pan Pt.  From here to the parking lot was sticky and boot tracks everywhere.  Was survival board/ski at it's best.  After I got home I heard about 2 climbers from Maine that were stuck on Liberty Ridge.  I sure hope they get the injured person and his buddy down safely and soon to their families.

Reply to this TR

may-15-2004-mt-rainier-muir-snowfields
snoslut
2004-05-17 02:42:24