Home > Trip Reports > Feb 16, 2010, Hyak, Pushin' for Holy Oly

Feb 16, 2010, Hyak, Pushin' for Holy Oly

2/16/10
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by The Snow Troopers on 2/18/10 2:03am
Took a quick walk up Hyak w/ fellow ski patroller Lisa (who is a kick butt skier/ski racer) for some exercise and take a look at the grooming fleet's progress on the 1/4 pipe for this upcoming Sat's Holy Oly event. With the low snow pack the fleet is scraping the entire mountain and has machines all over the hill. I would recommend touring some place else until after the event, and please note the coverage is very thin now and rocks and other hazards are everywhere just under a thin layer.

I'll be there Sat cause it is our first annual paint ball war games for skiers only and the 1/4 pipe seems to be right in the cross fire of the two teams?!? just kiddin', "Live to Ski Another Day" and see you at the Holy Oly... It's a cool change of pace mixed in w/ a short tour first close by on the Pass.
Paintball war games?  Oh man, that sounds fantastic.  Thanks for the update Tim.

Biathlon?    8)

If only ski area could put their fuel/energy into something more constructive, like grooming nordic ski trails (instead of destroying them). To a paying nordic skier, it seems like a major waste of resources for a closed hill.

Beware snowshoe races at Hyak on Saturday too ("Romp-and-Stomp"). I still can't figure how to drive the car with my snowshoes on. :)

author=cprahl link=topic=15662.msg65447#msg65447 date=1266594774]
If only ski area could put their fuel/energy into something more constructive, like grooming nordic ski trails (instead of destroying them). To a paying nordic skier, it seems like a major waste of resources for a closed hill.

"constructive" huh? this is the staple event of the year for Snoqualmie! I hope you made it up to see just how awesome the event is. it might have changed your opinion. 24 foot quarter pipe and 17 foot airs out of it!

i thought the nordic trails are in great shape given the coverage. baker only took snow from the hyak hill (old lift serviced face) to build his qp. not the nordic trails! The romp and stomp was held on the alternate trail as to not disturb the nordic trails... nothing nordic was affected.

(as a fun note: the top 3 feet of the qp were made out of sod.)

:) come out to the holy oly next year......... free beer!

I have to second Cornride's thought.  My wife and I have been skating most every weekend up there and feel they have done a good job grooming year.  Sunday the conditions were stellar. 

author=cornRIDE link=topic=15662.msg65747#msg65747 date=1267033157]
"constructive" huh? this is the staple event of the year for Snoqualmie! I hope you made it up to see just how awesome the event is. it might have changed your opinion. 24 foot quarter pipe and 17 foot airs out of it!

i thought the nordic trails are in great shape given the coverage. baker only took snow from the hyak hill (old lift serviced face) to build his qp. not the nordic trails! The romp and stomp was held on the alternate trail as to not disturb the nordic trails... nothing nordic was affected.

(as a fun note: the top 3 feet of the qp were made out of sod.)

:) come out to the holy oly next year......... free beer!

Totally, if anything they made some of the upper trails at Hyak BETTER--nice and compacted and flat which (fingers crossed) might help keep a base on the upper trails for spring touring this year!  I was worried at first given how torn-up Creek Run was last week, but it was for nothing.  Even with snow movement, Graysons skied great on Sunday too.

Cool event, trails still in great shape, a good day for Hyak!

tnt-

how the hell was the paintball?? it's like a snowball fight for sophisticated people right?!

seen some orange paint on the road signs by alpental.

Reply to this TR

feb-16-2010-hyak-pushin-for-holy-oly
The Snow Troopers
2010-02-18 10:03:09