Home > Trip Reports > Feb 17, 2010, Mt. Snoqualmie East Peak (Snow Dome)

Feb 17, 2010, Mt. Snoqualmie East Peak (Snow Dome)

2/17/10
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by John Morrow on 2/17/10 11:13am
After finding reasonable conditions on the north slope of Jim Hill on Monday, Pico and I hoped to find some powder holding out on shady aspects.  Perhaps even with the old wet powder having "dried out" after the cold clear night last night.
We approached from the west side of Commonwealth Creek and climbed the forest behind Guye Peak to Cave Ridge.  Snow was frozen in the drip zone and actually remained so all day, crampons helpful.  Once on the open beautiful ridge, stemming south from the east peak, conditions were a dusting of a 1/2 inch on a melt/freeze or rain crust.  Great easy skinning.

We first skied a couple short runs on shady aspects in good recycled  (sometimes wind effected) powder from 6200 feet to about 5600-5500 feet.  Unfortunately, below that altitude a 1/2 inch rain crust had formed covering 14 inches of beautiful snow!  When we hit the sometimes supportive crust with a wind transported dusting of new, but sometimes also Styrofoam chunk, we strapped the skins back on.

Somewhat similarly on the south side the descent began with supportive crust with a bit of new for the first 750 vertical off the top.  Then every kind of hot sun affected mank in the open, bottomless glop, and breakable crust in the shade, etc. that one would expect to find in the Lundin gully.  The exit along Commonwealth Creek was fast on frozen snow under the tree canopy.

Having read Dave Perkins' TR the day before, when he mentioned "rain", I kinda wishfully hoped it was at 4000 feet on Snow Lake.  Instead it seems to have rained all the way to 5500 feet around Snoq. Pass.   Did it rain up at Stevens Pass I wonder???
This rain crust may become an issue when loaded with new snow further on, especially after the predicted cold clear nights prior to any significant new snow.  Anyone think that cold clear nights could have a strong enough effect to move enough evaporative moisture through the snowpack and dissolve the crust?  I swear I have seen this happen.
Even with the variable conditions, the sunshine alone made it a great outing.
We found similar variable conditions today near Catherine and towards Silver Peak. I was hoping the sun would warm up the snow better than it actually did. The daffodils are blooming in my yard, after all!

The better turns were had on the spindrift dust on rain crust in the lower Silver Peak bowl up from Windy Pass. Neither of us busted through the crust. It was slick and quick on the Nordic trails back to the Silver Fir ski area, where there was some dreamy creamy bumps up top I just had to lap before going home to sit on the porch in the sun with a beer.

good cheer, this sunshine. a fine day in the mountains.

Thanks for the cheery snow report, John.  :'(

author=Big Steve link=topic=15656.msg65408#msg65408 date=1266520622]
Thanks for the cheery snow report, John.   :'(

Since I hate to be the teller of bad news, Steve, here's some good:
Rumor has it there was "perfect corn' on Granite today, so turn that frown upside down, partner!
John

Reply to this TR

feb-17-2010-mt-snoqualmie-east-peak-snow-dome
John Morrow
2010-02-17 19:13:39