Home > Trip Reports > February 11, Misery Creek, Beartooth Mtns, MT

February 11, Misery Creek, Beartooth Mtns, MT

2/15/10
Posted by savegondor on 2/15/10 3:15pm
Out of all the places in Montana we visited this week, Red Lodge had the worst and least snow.  Where we skied there was only 1-2 feet of snowpack at 8k and maybe 3 feet at 9k.  The only skiing to be had in this area of backcountry was on wind-loaded and wind-packed slopes.  And when I say 'wind-loaded' i mean to say 3 feet of consolidated ice-pack.  It wasn't sliding anywhere.  ANY new snow on top of these slick surfaces would be a major no-no.  But alas it did not snow.  Skied three bowls and wished a lot for crampons...but it was pretty doable.  Video:

http://b.static.ak.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/z4HBM/hash/3krgnmig.swf?v=472645810245&ev=0

The Cooke City side of the Beartooths looked much better on Sunday.  Still a somewhat meager snowpack for this time of year, I think, but deep enough for reasonable travel down low and apparently pretty dang good skiing up higher.  We were just along the valley bottom on nordic gear, however.

Yeah...I heard west of the crest i.e. Cooke City was around 70% of normal.  I'd estimate Rock Creek Drainage to be less than 40%.

I was at Discovery outside Anaconda, MT on this day, February 11. I concur that the snow, what there was of it, on all aspects, including north face, was barely OK at best and treacherous and hateful at worst.

Id reccomend checking out SHOWDOWN, Mt,  if you are in the area. They have the most snow in Mt. The terrain is pretty mellow but there is plenty of steeps.. some backcountry.. Cheap tickets and a great atmosphere.. Showdown is about an hour north of Bridger and dont forget to stop in White Sulphur Springs for a soak in the hot springs..

author=mangerk link=topic=15620.msg65286#msg65286 date=1266335976]
Id reccomend checking out SHOWDOWN, Mt,  if you are in the area. They have the most snow in Mt. The terrain is pretty mellow but there is plenty of steeps.. some backcountry.. Cheap tickets and a great atmosphere.. Showdown is about an hour north of Bridger and dont forget to stop in White Sulphur Springs for a soak in the hot springs..

...which is why we went to the nearby Snowy Mountains....

What a great broventure!  Thanks for the video.

author=savegondor link=topic=15620.msg65295#msg65295 date=1266350831]
...which is why we went to the nearby Snowy Mountains....

i see, hope you had fun..

I swear I'm gunna score a snowmobile before the next such trip...access in remote locations would be very nice...esp the snowies...could avoid the 8 mile slog to the steeps. 

Reply to this TR

february-11-misery-creek-beartooth-mtns-mt
savegondor
2010-02-15 23:15:52