Home > Trip Reports > May 15, 2004, Esmeralda Peak, NE couloir

May 15, 2004, Esmeralda Peak, NE couloir

5/15/04
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by kam on 5/15/04 8:39am
The forecast wasn't great, but we (Ned_Flanders, cascadesfreak, skip and I) found excellent skiing in the NE couloir of the eastmost summit of the Esmeralda Peaks.  At 7:30am we started from De Roux campground (3800 ft.) and followed the trail that ran alongside De Roux creek heading in the direction of Gallagher Head Lake.  We all started in hikers and then switched to boots when the snow patches became more frequent.  After hiking for 2 miles (~1200 vf.), we donned skis and made our way toward the eastmost summit.  During our ascent, the nearby Hawkins Mountain came into view.  By 11:45am we were enjoying the view of the Stuart range and other neighboring peaks from our highpoint (~6700 ft.).  An hour later we descended the NE couloir with excellent corn and racked up about 2100 vf. of skiing before picking our way through the woods back to the Ingalls/Stuart TH.  Below is a shot of Skip enjoying the snow.  It looks like the skiing in this area will be good for a few more weeks. -kam

More photos http://www.leang.com/kam/mountains/tr/esmeralda_peak/
Kam, thanks for the trip report!

I am wondering if you might have skied "High Esmeralda" 6760'+ This peak has a double summit with the west summit being just a bit higher than Point 6765'

To the east of High Esmeralda are the Esmeralda Peaks, the high point being 6411'

At least that's my understanding.

Last week when we were skiing Fortune, the bottom of the run I think you skied looked rather tight. How was it?

Larry

Larry-
We skied off the top of the west-most summit, which is "High Esmeralda".  Kam will blame his type-o on me anyways  :D  
Indeed a great ski run, especially on the upper slopes.  The gully skiing lower down was actually better than I had expected, withe some fun dwarf-tree skiing (the more shaded east side of the couloir is still holding adequate coverage), but has 1 somewhat sketchy "tight spot" where the snow was a bit thin where we had to cross the stream; otherwise the coverage was generally good in the lower couloir.

Nice report.

I'll get some photos back today of Esmerelda from Saturday.  I'll try and post them.  We did not see any skiers on that mountain however.  The timing should be about right though as we were at the Ingalls TH at the same time.  Just as the "rain" started.

How 'bout that Eastern Wa. Snow!  Even in spring conditions you can tell the difference!

How 'bout that Eastern Wa. Snow!  Even in spring conditions you can tell the difference!

I second that - I was pleasantly surprised by how nice it was, especially considering the sparseness of the approach.  The cloudcover definitely helped (though I assume the later rain did not).

Larry - to add to Chris' comments regarding what he called a "tight spot", in following the drainage below the couloir, we came upon a 5-6' bottleneck area where both banks were unskiable; one bank was too steep/treed while the other was steep/clear of snow.  The only good option was to have our poodle, Kam, test out the strength of the decaying snowbridge over the somewhat rushing creek below.  It held, but I don't know that I would want to ski over it in another week.

As the surrounding terrain cliffs out, the drainage was nonetheless the best option we saw.  My thought, then, is that it may take some skis-off finagling mid-descent to reproduce the tour in subsequent weeks.

Casshole, thanks for the idea, I had a blast.  Although, I had my doubs while we were booting up the steep muddy dirt.

Joshua

Regarding the E. WA snow comment - it seems to always consolidates quicker out that way thanks to the drier weather. The Teanaway seems to be a good area to work on the April/May cusp while it's a mish-mosh mix closer to the crest (that is, if you like firm corn!).

Nice report - intriguing line when viewed on the map.

Reply to this TR

may-15-2004-esmeralda-peak-ne-couloir
kam
2004-05-15 15:39:18