Home > Trip Reports > Feb 13, 2010, Snoqulamie East Peak

Feb 13, 2010, Snoqulamie East Peak

2/13/10
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by BigRed on 2/14/10 10:03am
We toured from the Alpental parking lot to Snoqualmie's east peak on Saturday.  I haven't toured at the pass in the while and wanted to check out the snow conditions.  As expected, pretty bad coverage and sloppy wet snow down low, but about 4500-5000 feet the conditions were ok.  Visibility went in and out and the wind was blasting on the the summit, so we bailed on our aspirations for a middle fork descent and opted for a couple laps on the south facing shots near cave ridge.  Fun terrain features and skinny chutes.  No signs of instability on the aspects we skied and couldn't get anything to move with aggressive ski cuts on some steeper rollers. North aspects near the summits were likely pretty windloaded.

Raining at the parking lot, but still a fun day out.
I think I met you in the parking lot.  We skied snoqualmie mt proper with aspirations of the slot but it was getting an incredible amount of wind transported snow and opted out.  great skiing until about 4500'. 

We saw your left-over tracks up there today - nice turns!  Lots of loose sluff and huge pinwheels coming down off of the south face of Snoqualmie in the sun today (especially over your tracks from yesterday).  We followed your tracks back down to the Alpy parking lot.  Still pretty sloppy down low.

Looks fun! Thanks for the update on conditions, let's get out again sometime soon.....Andy

author=skimd link=topic=15603.msg65226#msg65226 date=1266201009]
We saw your left-over tracks up there today - nice turns!  Lots of loose sluff and huge pinwheels coming down off of the south face of Snoqualmie in the sun today (especially over your tracks from yesterday).  We followed your tracks back down to the Alpy parking lot.  Still pretty sloppy down low.

Yeah, I have only been able to ski that line in firm conditions, always too much debris.  It was nice to get it before the heat ruined it.  We still had to dodge a few chicken heads.  There are some pretty nice lines down that face.

Reply to this TR

feb-13-2010-snoqulamie-east-peak
BigRed
2010-02-14 18:03:35