Home > Trip Reports > Feb 13, 2010, Mt Hood, Bennet Pass Trihedron

Feb 13, 2010, Mt Hood, Bennet Pass Trihedron

2/13/10
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Koda on 2/13/10 11:07am
With the winter weather letting me down I decided I couldn't take it anymore and met up with my usual suspects RonG and Laid Back Dave for a day of touring at Bennett Pass, with the mindset of just being outdoors. We didn't have high hopes on ski conditions, and a short tour to the first clearcut confirmed our suspicions about how good the skiing was going to be today.... we decided to keep on touring. Switching to explore mode we just kept heading out to what RonG convinced us to be a Trihedron. Now I have never skied a "Trihedron" before... and was elated to have this rare opportunity, even on such a crappy snow day. Onward we went.
  Conditions: We had about 2" of fresh wet heavy snow on top of breakable crud. Under the forest canopy, tree bombs had destroyed any hope of good turns even in such snow. A clearcut offered "fresh" tracks in said condition... tough turns. I figure the freezing level from the night before about 5000' by the fresh snow in the trees above, and none on the tress below, skiing below this point was futile so we didn't bother skiing to the valley floor. On a good day, this would be a nice run to the road below.
  Back to exploring we go. A short run  to the road on the SW aspect proved much better as the crud under the fresh held up giving us a slight teaser for the skiing we could only hope for today. The tour back to the car on Bennett Pass road proved entertaining with the masses of xc skiers and snowshoer's.

Not exactly the best skiing, but a fun day of exploring, with a new word to add to my vocabulary... I can say I have skied a Trihedron!
Congrats on the new stash--sounds like  a cool one when the cooler temps arrive along with snow. 

Did Tumalo on the 14th and was not really too bad considering how warm it had gotten (tree bombs just starting to drop...saved by the elevation...)

Thanks for the tr and pics.......

We were up there yesterday as well - maybe you're the guys we talked to who had skied some short open slopes a bit below the Windy Ridge junction? My buddy Freeheel Jay and I were 2 guys on Outtabounds backcountry skis - we headed all the way up to Bonney Butte where we found decent skiing in some relatively open glades. Heavy, concrete snow, but consistent and carvable. And given how long we were out, no crowds on the way back - with nice fast runs down parts of the road (and slow slogs for other parts).

author=TeleMurray link=topic=15595.msg65217#msg65217 date=1266187890]
We were up there yesterday as well - maybe you're the guys we talked to who had skied some short open slopes a bit below the Windy Ridge junction?

yes, that was us. We just skied the short slope from above to put us on the road to begin our tour home when we bumped into you. Good job touring all the way to Bonnie Butte. We have our eyes on Bonnie butte next time... if we ever get good snow this winter. It will be a long tour with our heavy AT gear!

I know folks are getting out in Oregon this season, but with the anemic snow pack I'm speculating  most are tight lipped in fear of their spot being poached - can't blame them.  Nonetheless, could to see a post from somewhere else besides Washington.

author=Koda link=topic=15595.msg65219#msg65219 date=1266194380]
yes, that was us. We just skied the short slope from above to put us on the road to begin our tour home when we bumped into you. Good job touring all the way to Bonnie Butte. We have our eyes on Bonnie butte next time... if we ever get good snow this winter. It will be a long tour with our heavy AT gear!

Just a note, with good snow you'll have long runs in the trees off the back side of Bonnie Butte (West side), but the open slopes we were skiing would probably not be suitable for skinning - 150 to 200 feet of vertical max. But, as you most likely noticed, there are lots of good lines to be had with good snow conditions - including the clear cut in your pic above.

yes, its that west aspect that looks promising, the winter forecast does not this year. If we get lucky with good snow, stable conditions, it will be a fun tour. thanks for the note

Reply to this TR

feb-13-2010-mt-hood-bennet-pass-trihedron
Koda
2010-02-13 19:07:28