Home > Forum > Big Bertha

Big Bertha

• Larry_R
  • [Larry_R]
More
15 May 2004 11:19 - 03 Apr 2007 05:28 #169363 by Larry_R
Big Bertha was created by Larry_R
Apologies

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2004 11:44 #169364 by gregL
Replied by gregL on topic Re: Big Bertha
My memory is fuzzy as well, but I can recall skiing a huge avalanche chute all they way to the 410 several times in the '70s, then skating down the road and hitching a ride back to Crystal - I believe the start was somewhere between Silver Queen and Silver King but the visibility was always poor and I was following people like former Raichle/Fischer rep Leroy Kingland who knew the way. I remember the skiing as epic, though.

More
15 May 2004 11:56 #169365 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: Big Bertha
Yep, Larry, I believe it's the one off of Crystal Peak. I remember looking at pictures on the park service website of the devastation from the last slide of (Crystal Peak's) Big Bertha -- and that's what they were calling it in the pictures -- back in the late 1990's. There were lots of freshly knocked down trees, hwy 410 was badly damaged and had to be resurfaced in the area. The logs, trees and other debris was carried over the highway, on over the White River Road and stopped just short of the river. The location is just past (south) of the White river road on 410; there's a turn out on the right (heading south) just beyond it. It's pretty awsome to stop and look at.<br>I'll now also be looking for the other one coming down from Naches Peak that Joe mentions.<br>So much to ske and so little time :)

More
15 May 2004 13:33 #169366 by Zap
Replied by Zap on topic Re: Big Bertha
Great memory Ron. I spoke to a "senior" ranger at White River a few years ago and he referred to the avalanche path you described as Big Bertha. A great view of the the avy path is available at the hairpin parking area near the top of the Sunrise Road. <br><br>There are numerous runs off the backside of Crystal between The Queen and Grubstake Peak down to 410 and a 3 to 5 mile skate to the parking lot at the junction of 410 and the Crystal Mt. Blvd. It is an epic descent. :)<br><br>Zap

• Joedabaker
  • [Joedabaker]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
16 May 2004 05:15 #169367 by Joedabaker
Replied by Joedabaker on topic Re: Big Bertha
Yep, Ron nailed it. And so the story continues....When I talked to my old timer ski buddy I told him of skiing Big Bertha. (the SW slope of Crystal Peak that decends all the way to 410). He got a glow in his eyes and told me stories of skiing Big Bertha in the 50's. Knowing that the Big Bertha slide path I skied slid about 1998-99 I asked where he determined Big Bertha to be located. He told me he skied it from Naches Peak and that it finished where Dewey Creek crosses before 123. I had been scouting that spot for several years and knew exactly where he determined Big Bertha to reside. Now I will be strung up by 80 year old skiers for giving out their personal discovery zones!<br><br> Gregg stated, "I believe the start was somewhere between Silver Queen and Silver King but the visibility was always poor and I was following people like former Raichle/Fischer rep Leroy Kingland who knew the way. "<br>I think he is refering to a run called Little Richard's. That goes from near the Throne to 410. The slide alder is getting pretty thick at the bottom. It's time for another slide!<br><br>