Home > Trip Reports > Feb 11-12, 2010, Sasse Ridge

Feb 11-12, 2010, Sasse Ridge

2/11/10
Posted by Larry_R on 2/12/10 2:13am
This trip made 4 in a row (or is it 5?) where Jane and I lucked out in spite of marginal weather forecasts. We had excellent skiing two weeks ago (no trip report), and again yesterday; not quite as good as the last trip, but all things considered, still great.

We had an easy trip to the campsite on firm old snow. See the first pic taken by Jane. The 3 am Seattle forecast discussion estimated that a front would get to the crest at about 1:00, and sure enough, mixed rain and snow started on schedule. We were set up and in the tents by then, and just watched the snow fall. We had about 3 inches of heavy new by the next morning, but as we climbed up (starting at the usual 6 am),  the firm base became a crust, which gradually disappeared. See the second pic.

In some places, the pole depth on the frontside was 16 to 18 inches. Heavy unconsolidated snow, but very skiable. Although it was snowing for most of our morning ski, shortly after we got back to the tents, it turned to mixed rain and snow. There is just a lot of heat from the sun now. That's one reason why we start early.
Nice Larry -- how does the snowpack compare to what you're used to seeing up there?

Thanks Marcus,

I did not compare the Sasse Snotel data with that from the period of record, but my feel is that above 3200 to maybe 3400 feet, the snow depth  is only slightly diminished from a low average year. Below that, it’s starting to look like spring. At the parking lot there is about a foot of snow, with the snow melted out around all the trees.

By the way, I forgot to mention a trick Jane and I discovered a few trips ago. It’s one of those ‘why didn’t I think of that before' ideas.  Maybe it’s common knowledge. For years I’ve used fresh snow to sop off water from things I’m putting in my tent as I set up. New snow is way better than any absorbent towel;  it sucks off  all the liquid water, leaving things just slightly damp.

But I had never tried it with my parka. When it’s snowing heavily around 32 degrees, parkas get covered with slushy snow, and can get soaking wet. I used to just shake the parka off, and then swab it off with an absorbent towel in the tent .   Why not just flop in the new snow and make a snow angel?  Toss some loose snow on the hood too. It works *great*. Very quick and easy, and it gets the parka far drier than my previous method.

The snow angel technique makes you feel like a kid again, with one exception. As a kid we just flopped down in the snow. We were all of 3-4 feet tall then.  I found that even if I sit on a small mound and tip over backwards it can be a pretty surprising head konk when you forget (senior moment?) that there is only 3-4 inches of new fluffy snow over a hard crust.  This has definitely been the year of the crust.
Jane

Reply to this TR

feb-11-12-2010-sasse-ridge
Larry_R
2010-02-12 10:13:34