Home > Trip Reports > May 14, 2004, Tooth Basin

May 14, 2004, Tooth Basin

5/14/04
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by wolfs on 5/14/04 1:55am
Tried to combine a 'quick' rock climb of The Tooth w a snowboard descent. The climb part was fun, and we were fortunate both that we got there before a WAC class and that the WAC class very generously allowed us to zip through them on descent using their ropes on the rap, which benefited us by speeding the rappel and benefited them because we weren't throwing random ropes on anyone's heads. But as far as the boarding, I can't recommend the snow. Quite a bit of the Basin is now a disaster zone of glissade and boot tracks, and although there are areas of snow undisturbed by boots off either side one you're out of the narrow parts, the snow is pretty rotten and undulating on top even on the sides. And the gullies were kinda dangerous with lots of big holes made by streams and behind rocks to fall into (which ... umm, I did, in somewhat spectacular but fortunately relatively harmless fashion). Throughout, only certain areas had really frozen overnight but it's not really turning into anything you could call corn. Also, the winter approach in lower vally is getting kinda sketchy, holes opening up on the various sidehills.
Yuck - good detail there. Thanks for the report. The early meltout continues to show its effects. I wonder if FR 9070 is clear to Windy Pass (for cheap access to Silver Peak, as you can sometimes drive right to the continuous snow right there) - that might be one of the easiest current plays for Snoqualmie touring right now...

Still closed as of 5/11 as per the FS road pg:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mbs/conditions/road_conditions_report.shtml

It'd be worth checking to see if the gate's open and cruising up the road to see how far up the snow is.  Last year about this time the sledders were playing up there... not sure whether they're supposed to be in there or not.

I checked into the snowmobile situation last year and was told that as soon as the ski areas close, the Cold Creek road and areas accessible from it (ie Silver Peak bowl) are open for snowmobiling - and the machines had really been working the bowl.

On the way home yesterday over Snoq Pass the Olallie clearcut looked like it was getting pretty melted out, with just the upper reaches having good looking coverage, but the bowl looked well covered. So, if you are allowed to drive up the Cold Creek road the access might be just about right for the kind of trip Jim is talking about...

Reply to this TR

may-14-2004-tooth-basin
wolfs
2004-05-14 08:55:09