Home > Forum > Anthony Lakes, OR Beta

Anthony Lakes, OR Beta

• RyanPete81
  • [RyanPete81]
More
09 Feb 2010 17:59 #189909 by RyanPete81
Anthony Lakes, OR Beta was created by RyanPete81
I'm heading to eastern OR this weekend and was wondering if anybody had been out around the Anthony Lakes area this winter. I've gone through posts from previous years and it looks like a great area with easy access from the ski area base as well as from the summit.

Can anyone provide any information as to the snowpack this winter, both depth and stability? The ski area is reporting ~70" at the 8000', which seems like sufficient coverage, especially for some of the higher neighboring peaks.

Also, is it worth the single lift ride to get to the summit and tour from there, or are we better off just taking off from the parking area?

Any info is much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jon Garrison
  • [jgarris]
More
10 Feb 2010 06:05 #190352 by Jon Garrison
Replied by Jon Garrison on topic Re: Anthony Lakes, OR Beta
I haven't been this year yet but that is my favorite lift and ski area, hands down. It is definitely worth the cheap ticket, especially the first time- you can see a bunch of different aspects from the top. Let us know how it is!

More
10 Feb 2010 09:40 #190354 by danldo
Replied by danldo on topic Re: Anthony Lakes, OR Beta
I was up at Anthony for a couple of days two weeks ago. It was great, both on and off piste. Take the single ride up and there's a nice ski down off the back side (left at top). If there's any new snow you're in for a treat.

More
10 Feb 2010 09:47 - 10 Feb 2010 09:53 #190355 by Snodger
Replied by Snodger on topic Re: Anthony Lakes, OR Beta
Funny,I was just thinking AL might be a good place to visit this weekend with all the warm air, even checked the forecast (supposed to stay below freezing all weekend and some inches of new) and was perusing topos. But it's probably too long a drive for just a weekend...

Anyway, I was going to say to forget the one time pass as the vert. is only 800-1000 feet if I remember correctly. As a disclaimer, I've only been there once and Jon sounds like he's quite familiar...

More
10 Feb 2010 09:52 #190356 by Snodger
Replied by Snodger on topic Re: Anthony Lakes, OR Beta

But it's probably too long a drive for just a weekend...

What an idiot I am! it's a 3 day weekend isn't it??

Maybe I'll see you there.

More
13 Feb 2010 14:08 #190389 by snomet
Replied by snomet on topic Re: Anthony Lakes, OR Beta
For those heading over the Anthony Lakes or anywhere in the Wallowas for that matter, you might check out the new Wallowa Avalanche Center as a resource for weather and recent snowpack conditions in this area. It has an increasing array of weather and recent snowpack links...and you might even get some direct info if you send an email to the center at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Just be aware that their snowpack is normally a bit more continental and shallower than the Cascade crest and west snowpack, and PWL's (persistent weak layers) may be significantly more prevalent and indeed persistent...
Cheers, Mark Moore--NWAC

More
17 Feb 2010 12:21 #190440 by ~Link~
Replied by ~Link~ on topic Re: Anthony Lakes, OR Beta
Wow, what an intriguing area!  Might have to kill the Bend tradition for La Grande!  Found a topo if anyone is interested.

• RyanPete81
  • [RyanPete81]
More
17 Feb 2010 14:19 #190442 by RyanPete81
Replied by RyanPete81 on topic Re: Anthony Lakes, OR Beta
It's an incredible area. Here's another good topo . I just posted a TR from my trip to Anthony Lakes last weekend. I have lots more recon photos if people are interested.