Home > Trip Reports > 2/4 The Gnar formally known as East Peak

2/4 The Gnar formally known as East Peak

2/4/10
Posted by Kyle Miller on 2/4/10 10:04am
First off sorry I haven't posted recently as I just got internet a few days ago.

For anyone who is unaware the wide open treeless west facing slopes of East Peak are the definition of Gnar and the type of terrain that makes some of the greatest ski mountaineers in the world turn around in fear. For example people have been skiing mountains in Europe for hundreds of years but the first documented decent of East Peak was only within the last hundred. Why you ask, simply because it is the gnar.

As of recently I have been working quite a bit at the Crystal Mountain ski school trying to save every penny for the spring touring season and touring either on breaks ( I have done Dog  leg chute 3 times in the past 5 days) or longer tours on my days off. Today was a late start and with a few options on hand of places to go I let the weather dictate where I would go. The one area that stood out was East Peak with good visibility and hopefully quite a bit of traffic as I was going solo.

After a quick sign out with Ski Patrol I was on my way up the Gold Hills trail around 12:00. The trail up to Bullions basin is packed solid as I climbed noticing everything from snowshoe to bootpack tracks along the way. I quickly turned off the main trail and made a no BS skin track straight up to the summit of East Peak and rode the SW face which provided great turns all the way down to the convex roller. Once in here I carefully navigated through the shallow snow pack dodging rocks, brush and chiken heads from old avy debris until arriving once again on the trail.

I expected to find that someone had taken advantage of my skin track but no one was to be found. This time I was able to climb much faster and take the same line down once again taking advantage of minimal traversing and great fall line skiing. By this time the snow seemed heavier due to either solar radiation or raising snow levels but still it was untracked and smooth which was good enough for me.

For the final run I followed the west facing nose all the way down until traversing into a open chute I have drooled at all season. While riding down I made sure to take notice of any sluff or slab cracks on the NW slope but nothing happened. While I would have loved to ride the NW face I decided against taking any chances.

After 3 laps the day was getting late so I rode back down to the resort just before 4 p.m.
If your wondering. Yes the conditions are good in the backcountry
I forgive you for not posting, Kyle.

I gather the red lines are trails of blood from victims of *the gnar*? 

Welcome back to the internet Kyle.  The stoke has suffered a bit in your absence.

I think Sky has more then made up for it and yes those are streaks of Blood from many failed attemps. If your thinking about heading out there I suggest you bring rope for the mandatory 2cm drop.

...AND the crazy ice climbing at the summit block.  Serious endeavour indeed Kyle.  Ditto Joe.  ;)    Entertaining read.

Absurd stuff you're posting here Kyle.  Hope you were wearing a helmet ;)

Thanks for the report,
The map is handy, I'll use it forever!
Superbowl weekend and wagering fever is at an all time high.
My side bet is:
Since you posted this report that there will be 20 groups of people, 10 snowshoers, 6 dogs, who visit East Peak this weekend and only three will post.
What's the over under?

Ummm...  This is an update:

Gnar means bad, Right?

East peak is no good right now.  It's no good and not worth going tomorrow.  On the other hand, I've heard everywhere else is "off da hook", and everyone should go there.

There, I fixed it for ya, Joe.  8)

Reply to this TR

2-4-the-gnar-formally-known-as-east-peak
Kyle Miller
2010-02-04 18:04:39