Home > Trip Reports > Jan 31, 2010, Pickhandle Basin

Jan 31, 2010, Pickhandle Basin

1/31/10
Posted by Splitboard Graham on 2/1/10 9:31am
After some inspiring blow pong shotski action on saturday night in a dilapidated 70's era chalet in the gold hills, a mountaineers-sized (though we felt like mountainbeers in the morning...) group of eleven of us headed up into pickhandle basin on sunday to find surprisingly good conditions on the upper slopes. After lapping the northeast facing bowl in pickhandle there were over 45 tracks. hope we didn't ruin anyone's monday "sick" day. Though the snow set-up and got heavier in the afternoon, it proved to be unanimously good skiing. heavy enough to stay on top and rip quickly. maybe we're just happy to ski whatever we can get? Regardless, conditions were an order of magnitude better than we expected. thanks to our new friends for showing us some new lines in the crystal bc.

saw some point releases as a result of warming in the afternoon. some soft-slabbing but no releases. some avy debris under 6" of new was skiied on the north facing aspect of the bowl below pickhandle point.

any photos alpymarr? peter?
Great meeting you guys and skiing with you guys Sunday.  Our goal was to make sure you had a hangover so we could keep up with you the next day.  The snow certainly exceeded my expectations - and I was surprised how well we traveled as such a large group.  I'll try and post some pictures this evening. 

Peter

Thanks to everyone invloved in the Durkin 11! Hopefully we can all get out again soon together. Conditions were good for the weather as of late, group made it even more enjoyable. Thanks again!!

Reply to this TR

jan-31-2010-pickhandle-basin
Splitboard Graham
2010-02-01 17:31:43