Home > Trip Reports > The Eternity Slog- The Enchantments - 1.29-31.10

The Eternity Slog- The Enchantments - 1.29-31.10

1/15/10
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by Stugie on 2/1/10 2:13am
By the time we got to Leavenworth, Friday night was beginning to look more like Sunday night.  Brad (Moscawulff) and myself headed down icicle creek road to meet up with Scott (alecapone) and pack up gear to head out the following morning.  We slept in the lot, hoping to get an early start the following morning. 

Snoozing a bit, making breakfast sandwiches for some good fuel, and meeting some other skiers from around put us into a good vibe as we eventually donned our skis and cussed under our breath at the weight of our overnight packs.  Although the skinning appeared mild at first, we had our fair share of slogging ahead of us.

Brad meets some friends along the way...

After finally reaching Colchuck Lake, we decided to set up camp.  Surprisingly, we saw some others had set up camp just below the Colchuck Glacier and had been snowshoeing up to get some 300-400 foot lines.  We heard them hooting, so that got us stoked.  We hit the sleeping bags as soon as darkness arrived, but going to bed at six is difficult when you€™re used to going to bed at eleven or later.  It makes it that much harder too when you€™re feeling like a kid before Christmas, just yearning to hit some good snow.  The next morning after a quick breakfast we were off, steadily climbing Aasgard Pass.

Brad looking up the Hidden Coulior.

Our original plan had been to hit Little Annapurna and Dragontail, but after climbing over the pass, we knew it was one or the other.  We picked Dragontail.  Steeper, more aesthetic, and just over all bada**.  We climbed up the west bowl and made our way up the SE aspect.  Brad inspected to see if he could find the entrance to the Triple Coulior as Scott and I waited just below the ridgeline.  More than anything, this was a scouting tour, so we used the opportunities to note as many intriguing features as possible.  Ultimately, even with a weeks worth of time, we€™d never be able to hit all the lines we drooled at but we were certain a return trip would be in store.  We switched to downhill mode and the fun began.

Scott looks out towards Little Annapurna.

The Enchantments

The west side of Dragontail poured perfectly into Aasgard Pass, and we soaked and bathed in the lavish powder that was handed to us all the way down to the lake.  From lightly breakable Styrofoam powder to blower faceshots, we had an over three thousand foot continuous run to the lake (minus time for some pics of course!)

Scott starts in on the pass.

Brad ripping it.

Scott gets the goods.

Slayer.

And one last image of the beast€¦

Thanks for a great trip guys!  Glad we got the goods!  Definitely quite the training trip!
Awesome work -- I've been up there a few times in the summer and it's drool-worthy for winter trips.  There's a line off the descent from Colchuck Balanced Rock that I saw a couple of years ago that I'd love to get in there to ski.  So much good stuff.

Nice. Its rare to get that one in pooder conditions. Winds have been suprisingly calm this year.

Nice work guys!  Brad was talking about this trip the weekend prior with enthusiasm, glad you guys got it done.  With more hours of daylight I am sure you guys would have had Little Annapurna too.   8)

Good get guys!
I was hoping to see a TR from your weekend although I thought for sure Brad would have authored it.  ::)
I'm Glad that Scott was able to join up with you.  Wish I could have made it, I am sure that it was a fun crew.

How was the creek crossing?  When I went, there was a few feet of snow on the log making for a bit of pucker factor.  Not that it would have phased you guys.   ;)

Looks like fun.

Supposedly my roommates friend ended up getting frostbite out on dragon tail a little while ago.

Thanks, it definitely added stuff to the ticklist rather than crossing it off...oh well, most tours end up doing that I guess! ;)

Joe, the log and small creek crossing were okay, and so was the last one but it did have a bit of exposure:

This Ale character is turning into a real media darling!

I agree with Pete, I've never seen Asgard Pass so filled in. Did you guys use the rap 1/2 way down?

No ropes necessary.  Dropped straight from the ridgeline high on DT's SE side, down the W bowl and straight down the skiers left side of Aasgard.

Up high Brad was scouting around for the entrance to Triple C...any beta on that?

Looks like you all found some good conditions this past weekend. I hate when snowmen taunt me on the skin up.

That was one fun trip, and one scary snowman.

There was one small section near the top of asguard that gave us a taste of exposure...

Stugie took his chances doing some ice moves.

Brad and I stuck to stone.

stugie and CBR

Reply to this TR

the-eternity-slog-the-enchantments-1-29-31-10
Stugie
2010-02-01 10:13:23