Home > Trip Reports > January 31, 2010; Jim Hill

January 31, 2010; Jim Hill

1/15/10
Posted by Marcus on 2/1/10 1:13am
Today may have been one of those days where the early bird does not, in fact, get the worm.

Pete, Becky, AP, Murray and I left the Nordic Center parking lot for Lake Lanham at 8:45, making quick time of the hard packed snowshoe track to the head of the valley.  Visibility was good around the lake, but the upper mountain and the north ridge were wrapped in fog.

Thanks to whoever had put in the skin track up from the lake -- it saved us a hell of a lot of time and we were soon grinding our way up the ridge in the fog, hoping for a break in the weather.  We broke new trail from 6400 up to just shy of the saddle east of the summit and decided to call it good from there.  Thick fog and pancake-flat light forced us (after much hemming and hawing) to ski back down the ridge and leave the north bowl for another day.

Excellent knee deep powder in the trees on the upper ridge eventually turned to steep tight trees and knee-tweaking elephant snot, but everyone made it to the lake without incident.  We did our best to ignore the sun that was poking through on the ridge above, hoping that the valley fog was still hanging in there.  After a short lunch break, the luge called and we zipped out to the car, returning Murray home in time for pizza and 60 Minutes.  A fantastic, if character-building, day.
nice!

As much as I live up at the pass, I have yet to go up jim hill... maybe you enticed me to take care of that tomorrow.

If you get a clear day, I'll bet the north side is in great shape.  There was another party off in the fog that, for better or worse, at least got to ski that side, since they came up Henry Creek instead of via Lanham Lake.

author=Marcus link=topic=15430.msg64509#msg64509 date=1265044398]
Excellent knee deep powder in the trees on the upper ridge eventually turned to steep tight trees and knee-tweaking elephant snot

Knee deep powder I understand.
Knee tweaking elephant snot is a new term to me, I will have to add it to my snow conditions reporting terminology.  Hopefully I will rarely experience it.
Thanks for the Jim Hill info!

I went up the Henry Creek approach as a party of 5.  Not doing the route before we turned off the logging road a little late and ended up doing the "return loggin road approach" as our ascent.  We met back up with the normal up route at about 4000'.  Some guys who took out after us but took the better approach had already set the up track and were at least an hour in front of us.  Ultimately got to about 6400' where we were turned back by the fog.  Below that had good enough visibility.  Top 700' or so was heavy but still good poweder.  Below that it was fun but very heavy and wet.    We only did the 1  lap while the other party did 3.  I will try and put some pics up soon.

Nice -- were you with Bram?  We probably heard you in the fog as we were coming down.  We considered taking a lap in the upper trees on the west side of the ridge, but it quickly became heavy-heavy and the legs just wanted to get down without injury.

curious where y'all parking for doing the Henry Creek approach since the main pullout on the road by the tunnel vent bldgs have the 'no parking' signs now.  thanks!

Yes,  I was with Bram. 

Parking,  We parked in the entrance of a logging road about 200 yards to the west of the usual parking.  We also saw some folks park on the west side of that pull out where there wasn't signage.  -  They all headed to arrowhead. 

author=silaswild link=topic=15430.msg64518#msg64518 date=1265046663]
Knee tweaking elephant snot is a new term to me, I will have to add it to my snow conditions reporting terminology.

Ditto, but man, that term is PERFECT.  I envisioned the ugliness of it completely.  :)

Reply to this TR

january-31-2010-jim-hill
Marcus
2010-02-01 09:13:18