Home > Trip Reports > January 29-31, 2010, Scottish Lakes High Camp

January 29-31, 2010, Scottish Lakes High Camp

1/29/10
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by telemack on 2/1/10 12:41am
This was the best weather and most consistent snow in our group's last 4 years of visiting the High Camp for an annual outing. 
Lisa and I were ahead of out pickup time on Friday, so we deployed our weekday passes and took a few lift rides at Stevens.  After the snowmo ride up to our cabin we skied Big Rock bowl and back up the road, and I took an extra skin-with turns-by-headlamp before cocktail hour. 
Saturday all six of us toured up McCue Ridge to the high point breaking trail most of the way.  Foggy/whiteout conditions, but the best fresh I've seen in quite a while.  1/2-2" of new builds up pretty well if nobody touches it all week!  All were thrilled with the descent, whether on waxless light gear or fatties.  Vivien and I took one more run in the before dinner; headlamps stayed in the pockets this time.  That evening we tested the new sauna/tub/shower setups while enjoying the full moon and crystal-cear night. 
Sunday was leaving day.  After clearing out of the cabin I took a couple of quick runs.  Unbroken snow beckoned just minutes from the High Camp buildings.  Then we all skied down to our Midway truck ride via Big Rock again.  Lisa and I climbed the knoll skier's R of the main bowl and had memorable steep, slightly windblown freshies. 
SLHC is one of the best BC cabin setups in the state (which has some pretty slim pickings).   Facilities are rustic/nice with plenty of options for turns and tours, and there is good snow on many aspects that can stay sheltered for days.  Thanks to Don, Chris and staff for another fine trip.
Awesome Mack!

Glad to hear you scored on the conditions.

Yah, Lisa was on top of her Karhu Jils and some of her best deep-snow turns ever.

sounds like a super trip, where's the pics!

Glad it was good up there!  Sounded like an excellent trip!

Reply to this TR

january-29-31-2010-scottish-lakes-high-camp
telemack
2010-02-01 08:41:09