Home > Trip Reports > January 30, 2010, Lichtenberg Mtn

January 30, 2010, Lichtenberg Mtn

1/30/10
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by John Morrow on 1/30/10 11:09am
Met up with the L-worth contingent of Jake, Justin, and Dave for a great day out.
A quick snow report:
Approached Lichtenberg from Smithbrook via Lichtenwasser Lake and the Burgdorfer route.  Skied some northerly aspects in pea soup at times and flat light.  Sometimes what you don't see can be quite beautiful, though.   Tried to wait it out on the summit for more than an hour to clear but to no avail.  I am guessing that, along the crest, cooler east flow was meeting and pushing up the warmer west flow locking in the fog and not allowing for much of a lapse rate as we climbed.
From 5800' to 5200', 8" to 12" of light newer (<10 days old or so) snow on the old base which the edges could not reach.  Nice snow.
5200' to 4200', about same depth over the old base but getting heavier and denser, quite turnable on smooth slopes. Had thoughts about moving on to other stuff but the fog, the wait on top, and equipment malfunctions kinda took our drive away.
4200' to 3500', 6" depth turning to potatoes.
3500' to TH, the trees starting to drip heavily along Smithbrook road with the above freezing temperatures.
Up to this point we've been mostly skiing to the east closer to home, but I've been building back strength after some knee issues and starting to feel better all the time.  Time to branch out again and explore other stuff.  After this weekend we're going to need some new snow!

Did you get crackers with that pea soup?

Hi John,
I was in the group that met you guys on the ridge below the summit of Lichtenberg. Took an avy class with Jake a month or so ago.
We ended up doing a lap on the south aspect, which definitely had experienced some sun/warming in previous days, but we got in ~1500' of nice creamy turns, with some partial clearing. We ended up skinning back up to the ridge and doing a couple laps off the north side, which was excellent!

Ak-nak to be exact......courtesy of Mr. Jake.

Good to meet you Ryan.  We wondering what kind of conditions you found on the south side.  Thanks for mentioning it.  The north side sure was nice indeed!
John

Reply to this TR

january-30-2010-lichtenberg-mtn
John Morrow
2010-01-30 19:09:59