Home > Trip Reports > Tahoe - Mt Rose BC {Hourglass area}

Tahoe - Mt Rose BC {Hourglass area}

1/15/10
US elsewhere
Posted by skimtner on 1/29/10 7:08am
first off, our El Nino type systems produced about 5 - 8 ft of accumulation. we had a smaller system this wk., that gave us another foot or so. that snow had a lot of moisture with it, as it came directly from the West, and moved north as is came inland. at the end of this system it put down about 3 " of colder snow. the pow was kinda variable,but still skiable {9 - 10,000 ft}. the best spot I skied was almost due North in aspect, and a bit off camber. I glanced to my side, and saw the pow was about the height of my chest. that section was "lighter" than the NW aspect I chose first. I did 4 laps, which is about avg. for me. the sun is getting higher in the sky. it was good to get some vitamin D, as we havn't had much breaks in the weather. some smaller wthr systems on tap for next wk.    ps - some day I'll put in some pics...
Thank you so much for keeping us informed about Southern conditions!  I was advised of the big storm, sadly had a few commitments that I could not skip.  I hope to come down for the next such event.  Yes, post photos of the snorkel snow when you have time please.

Thanks for the update!!

Reply to this TR

tahoe-mt-rose-bc-hourglass-area
skimtner
2010-01-29 15:08:45