Home > Trip Reports > Jan 27/10,In search of Vancouver snow

Jan 27/10,In search of Vancouver snow

1/15/10
Posted by Telemon on 1/28/10 1:25am
Undoubtedly everyone here is aware of the absence of snow below 3,000' this year. The world also knows because of the pictures coming out of the 2010 Olympic site at Cypress Bowl. Olympic security concerns have banished us back country skiing terrorists from this popular location within a provincial park. So NickBC and I went exploring for snow on the next available provincial park,Mt.Seymour.

Whereas much of the Olympic venues at Cypress are below 1,000m , the back country ski/snowshoe/hiking trail at Seymour starts at bit above 1,000m. We chose to boot up this trail, which runs parallel to the ski resort boundary. The terrain above the ski area is undulating, so we just kept our skins on.(Pic #1) We had hoped to drop into a lake basin that we had never visited, but the route looked sketchy. We left the official trail as it approached First Peak aka Pump Peak and made our own trail to an easterly ridge. (Pic#2)I couldn't resist the draw of the SE-facing snow, so I took off my skins for a few delightful tele turns.(Pic#3). After returning to the top of the ski area, we "poached" some uneventful turns on the resort slopes.

For those who enjoy a more liberal use of photos (Scotsman?) check out my report here. http://telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=65509
Always nice to see pictures...thanks so much...

I live at the bottom of the hill,I just came back from a quick lap up there!
They had about  three or four centimeters of new snow on top of the ice layer,it was pretty good!
Hey it is not the bottom of La Grave,but this is where I work and live so getting out there is always worth it.

There is more than a few hidden steep 1200ft runs,that when the conditions are right are pretty good for being so close to a city.

Nice photos thanks for sharing!

Reply to this TR

jan-27-10-in-search-of-vancouver-snow
Telemon
2010-01-28 09:25:37