Home > Trip Reports > 01.27.10, Breakfast on Tamarack Peak

01.27.10, Breakfast on Tamarack Peak

1/15/10
Posted by kam on 1/27/10 3:34pm
Breakfast wasn't that good.

But I'm a liar.

ski_photomatt was in Truckee visiting his brother Brian.  Good timing on his part.  Ben (from Reno) and I met up with Matt, Brian and Brian's girlfriend at 7:20 am at the Tamarack Peak trailhead for breakfast, Sierra Nevada style.  Ben and I had enough time for a couple breakfast runs before going to work.  Skinning was easy --  thanks again to whoever left the nice skin track the previous day.  There was about 12-14" of relatively new snow on top of a thin, firm layer.  Below that was more snow from last weekend's storm.

We made our first run down an east-facing pitch just below Tamarack Peak.  There was some concern about avalanche activity, so we stayed where it was 30-degree-ish.  When I skied, in some spots the top 12" released, but nothing significant.  Overall the snow was fantastic.  Ben was skiing his new boards we made together in my garage, the DIYs.  The name and the graphics were inspired by a short story Ben wrote about the legendary Snowshoe Thompson:

After the first run, we skinned to the top of Tamarack.  At the top we felt the wind, then took shelter behind a snow drift to de-skin.  Before heading down, Ben and I said our good byes to Matt et al., then we skied back to the truck.  Matt et al., dropped into Hourglass Bowl and decided to keep skiing.  I was pretty productive today at work after having such a good breakfast. ;)

Great to see Tamarack Peak in powder conditions.  Jill and I have enjoyed the terrain in the spring.  Wonderful conditions to breakin the DIY.

That SKi_photomatt gets around.  He's like a lucky penny.  Stay close to that guy, good things happen when he's on the tour.

Very nice!  If you skied Hourglass, conditions must have been quite safe.  I'm jealous of course, but luckily we finally have our own powder to be skiing for a while at least.  Hoping too for a powder storm in late February for my turn at Sierra cement and the breezy weather. 

Good to see you carrying on the UNR ski manufacturing tradition.

Thanks for the photos and turns Kam!  After splitting from you we lapped Hourglass in the fog until our third trip to the top of Tamarack ended in a gigantic sucker hole.  We started chatting with Craig and KT on the summit about their custom made skis.  Of course I thought "home built skis + Reno = Kam" but no, they have their own operation.  Must be something about the Sierra that inspires ski building?  We ended up joining them on their traverse of Mt Rose -- from the bottom of the hourglass some more powder turns landed us in the valley directly below the skin track up Rose.  A few hours later and we were standing in the sun near the summit with 3000 ft of powder at our feet.  We skied all the way down to the highway near Sky Tavern then hitched back to the car.  Great day!

Reply to this TR

01-27-10-breakfast-on-tamarack-peak
kam
2010-01-27 23:34:42