Home > Trip Reports > May 6, 2004, Mt. Baker, Coleman-Deming

May 6, 2004, Mt. Baker, Coleman-Deming

5/6/04
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by powscraper on 5/6/04 8:22pm
I was lucky enough to venture into the mountains during the good weather pocket yesterday, and splitboarded the Coleman-Deming route on Mt. Baker.  6-12 inches of dry wintery powder covered most of the route above 6500 feet.  Even the Roman Wall had pockets of powder.  High winds and cold temperature made the climb less than comfortable, but subdued sunlight sustained through noon so it wasn't too bad.  I saw a few skiers on my way down the Coleman Glacier.  I was a little worried about avalanche potential on the leeward side of the summit ridge because of all the snow being blown over by the high winds.  I was also starting to see some slabbiness on the higher parts of the Coleman Glacier, but since only about 8" of snow had fallen, things weren't too sketchy.  I played it safe by boarding down most of the ridge and only saw a tiny sluff.  My apologies to jimjar and snoslut that the good weather had to fall on a Thursday...

>:( Someday......

What's up with the traverse track at the top? Turn that thing bro!  :)

haha... well I was solo and worried about windslab, so I ran away like a little baby when that little sluff started.  I thought it was gonna propagate.  Actually if you knew what I passed up above there you would be speechless... but I live to board another day, and this way I have something for which to go back.

I wrote the TR yesterday, but it just got uploaded a couple hours ago.  It's called "Mt. Baker Freshie-Fest"

http://www.neolectric.com/~justin/NWframe.html

Hey what happened to your post Paul?  Paul was asking where the TR was...

I got rid of it, since I found your TR two seconds after I posted....

So you had to hike 1 mile along the road up to the trailhead?  
Where there just patches of snow to potenially get through with some clearance and 4WD for this weekend  or was the snow coverage along the road pretty solid?  
 thanks!

There's probably still a little bit of snowy road, but not much.  Also the woods are melted out.

Reply to this TR

may-6-2004-mt-baker-coleman-deming
powscraper
2004-05-07 03:22:58