Home > Trip Reports > January 25, 2010, Baker BC, sort of

January 25, 2010, Baker BC, sort of

1/25/10
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by ebeam on 1/26/10 1:42pm
Not really a trip report as I just want to grumble a tiny bit. I am usually a fan of €œJust go. It might be better than you think.€ Not this time, and it seems my timing has been off all season.

We scheduled a 2-day-er and it finally snows around here (a good thing). However, with very poor visibility, strong winds, shooting cracks more than occasionally, and no interest to ski Swift Creek trees (just to kill time and see if the weather settles down), we opted for snow cave practice.

By late afternoon, we also decided to €œbank€ the second day of our trip for the future and committed our schedule to other things. Instead of about 15 minutes, it takes us nearly an hour creeping much of the way back to the upper Baker parking lot from the Artist Point area. We refused to use a GPS, but did succumb to viewing a compass twice.

Of course, the mountains are clear today from home.
But you clearly dug an awesome snow cave, which usually qualifies as worth the trip for me :)

It was a mansion and quite fun to build. We had just hoped to build it later in the day and much further west.

Reply to this TR

january-25-2010-baker-bc-sort-of
ebeam
2010-01-26 21:42:09