Home > Forum > 1/25/10 Stevens

1/25/10 Stevens

• nw_grrl
  • [nw_grrl]
More
25 Jan 2010 20:38 #215514 by nw_grrl
1/25/10 Stevens was created by nw_grrl
5" new overnight, no wind, good viz, very little precip. I wouldn't call it crowded but it was not empty for a weekday. The new stuff got shredded/skied out remarkably quickly.

Best runs were beginning of the day. Via Double Diamond/Big Chief, we headed to Andromeda/Polaris Bowl for our first run, where at the top at 9 am, it really was powder. As we dropped altitude and descended to the base of the chair, and especially as temps warmed up during the day, the fresh new snow was fun stuff, but not powder. If we'd started at 7th Heaven or Big Chief Bowl in the morning, we'd probably have said that was best run of the day.

The friends I was skiing/riding with have been to Stevens maybe 12 times this year and they said it was the best snow yet. (They probably missed that great pre Thanksgiving dry dump, as did I). It was definitely my best day this season, still only my 3rd time up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nw_grrl
  • [nw_grrl]
More
25 Jan 2010 21:03 #215515 by nw_grrl
Replied by nw_grrl on topic Re: 1/25/10 Stevens
How could I have neglected to mention most important part of my trip report: Area Food Service.

The line for salads in the upstairs cafeteria in Stevens middle lodge (Glacier Lodge?) was short. I ordered my usual side house salad and then asked person behind me in line what she was ordering. Since she also wanted a side house, we suggested to our salad preparer to make them together, for which the salad maker thanked us.

The pasta line was empty so the pasta person started helping in salads as salad customers' line grew, so service stayed quick. Perhaps because of recent thread about Crystal and chili and crackers, I asked the chili soup person (the salad area is in between pasta and chili/soup areas) for crackers to go with my salad. She was a bit surprised by my request but gave me two packages of oyster crackers. The crackers were yummy. As was my salad, as was my half a PB&H sandwich.

Most of the salad/pasta/chili people seem to be from other countries and English does not seem to be the native language for many of them. I've never seen them make fun of anyone's accent. They seem to be concerned with understanding what the customer is asking for. Well, based on my limited experience. Only my 3rd day this season.

A yummy day with good service all around.

More
25 Jan 2010 22:35 #215516 by Zap
Replied by Zap on topic Re: 1/25/10 Stevens
Nice conditions report plus the Food Service post provides a refreshing insight of the ski area.  ;)