Home > Trip Reports > January 24, 2010, Mazama Ridge, Narada Face

January 24, 2010, Mazama Ridge, Narada Face

1/24/10
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by JibberD on 1/24/10 11:29am
Mad_Dog, ronj, Bonnie and I met up for a day of farming powder turns on Mazama Ridge and wrapped up the day with a quick run down Narada Face.

It snowed hard all day; at points the snow blew sideways. Ample amounts of powder better than telemetry would lead one to believe. Wind-driven fresh snow made for fresh tracks all day long. Coverage on Mazama Ridge was great; Narada, moderate, with some of the larger slide alder still visible. A few more days like this and the coverage will be much improved. The powder was light, made for easy skiing and was bomber in stability with no slabs or slides seen. I'd be wary of lee slopes in coming days though.

By day's end, chains were required above Longmire and the road had it's share of vehicles in trouble. Snow on ice.

Nice to be back out in the powder with great folks. Fun!

I think Ron may have a pic or two to post.
author=JibberD link=topic=15321.msg64146#msg64146 date=1264390159]
It snowed hard all day; at points the snow blew sideways. Ample amounts of powder better than telemetry would lead one to believe. ...

Seems like it's been that way all this winter--telemetry says 1 inch and 5 mph winds and reality is 8 inches and 25 mph winds!

The Jibber don't lie.
Best skiing I've had since the snow started in early November... and I've skied 8 Sundays since that epic "rightside up" dump.
Here's a couple of shots to give you an idea...

The rest are posted HERE.

Nice pics Ron, thanks.

Oh, and thanks for offering to kick me in the testicles yesterday as a ploy to divert my attention away from foot pain. Simply brilliant!

On another topic,when can I expect the chia 'fro to sprout and reach its full, green glory?

Never a dull moment with the ronimal heading the group.

Hmmm ,I'd better change to sundays!

Thanks for the report Jibber. Definitely a good time had by all. I think we poached your Saturday lines, Robie. Thanks for the heads up-you're always welcome!

It was a fantastic day, the snow was falling hard and light as a feather.  In fact you almost thought it was the middle of winter  ;).  Finally, finally some fantastic much needed new snow.  Jibber, nice to have you out with us on the mountain again, as usual it's always a laugh a minute  :).

Reply to this TR

january-24-2010-mazama-ridge-narada-face
JibberD
2010-01-24 19:29:19