Home > Trip Reports > Jan 23, 2010, Mount Rohr, Duffey Lake area

Jan 23, 2010, Mount Rohr, Duffey Lake area

1/23/10
Posted by stoked on 1/23/10 12:50pm
We took advantage of the moderate rating of the alpine avalanche forecast to visit Mount Rohr in the Duffey Lake area north of Whistler. We went in via the trail to the Wendy Thompson hut. Temps were cool, no wind and sunny! We took the tourist route up Mount Rohr. The skiing was good, very good. No sign of recent avy, whumphing, shooting cracks or other instabilities.

We felt so good about the snow conditions we skied down a nice chute we passed on the approach in (last pic). Dug a couple of shallow pits at the top of our chute but the snow was too shallow where we dug. After some thought and consideration of the moderate alpine rating we decided to go for it and I'm glad we did. It was great.

Above: just above the headwall impounding Rohr Lake.

Above: Mount Rohr. Rohr Lake below.

Above: Looking back to Mount Marriot.

Above: easy trail breaking.

Above: the summit.

Above: We skied one of these chutes on the way back.
Nice trip report.

We stumbled into that same mountain last week when trying to find fresh snow coming up from the lower 48. It was pouring rain at Baker and the lower environs of Whistler/Garibaldi, so we just kept driving because no one wanted to climb 2hrs in the rain to reach the snow level with zero visibility. We reached snow on the Duffey Lake Road, parked at the weather station with a bunch of other cars, and followed someone’s skin track not knowing what to expect. It turned into a sunshine powder day. What an amazing group of ski-able mountains.

Hey ebeam, It's a long drive especially from the lower 48. Got some skiing shots from my bro'. My camera battery packed it in on the summit so I didn't have any.

Above: Right below the summit.

Above: Looking down on Rohr Ridge.

Above: A shot of Rohr NW 2. We skied the third gully from the left.

Above: Below the bench at Rohr Lake. It was totally untracked. A bonus!

Reply to this TR

jan-23-2010-mount-rohr-duffey-lake-area
stoked
2010-01-23 20:50:08