Home > Forum > ? Ski MtHoodMeadows?

? Ski MtHoodMeadows?

• PDX-XCD
  • [PDX-XCD]
More
04 May 2004 16:15 #169291 by PDX-XCD
? Ski MtHoodMeadows? was created by PDX-XCD
I see that the lifts are no longer running at Meadows.<br><br>Anyone know of any prohibitions against skinning & skiing in area henceforth??? <br><br>Or is there some secret regulation or special 'NW Closed Permit Area Pass' that I need to buy?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• powscraper
  • [username]
More
04 May 2004 16:31 - 04 May 2004 16:32 #169292 by powscraper
Replied by powscraper on topic Re: ? Ski MtHoodMeadows?
Never heard of needing a permit for a closed ski area, but seeing as how it's Mt. Hood Meadows, I wouldn't be surprised if they hunt you down and sue you for millions in order to finance their voracious expansion...<br><br>Alternatively, I think you can head up White River Canyon and continue up the Wy'East face for a big day.  Or cut off some approach by traversing over from Timberline.

• Jeff Huber
  • [Gaper_Jeffey]
More
05 May 2004 03:29 - 05 May 2004 03:57 #169294 by Jeff Huber
Replied by Jeff Huber on topic Re: ? Ski MtHoodMeadows?
I've heard of folks skiing Meadows when its closed w/o incident (in fact I've seen bc skiers in the Meadows permit area even when it's operating). Maybe next year all 3 of the Oregon TAY skiers should have an Oregon TAY Meadows festival to rival the WA'ers TAY Crystal fest.<br><br>Last Sunday I took a good look at Skylar bowl which is the huge, beautiful drainage that runs from the ridge Cascade Express is on to the White River glacier. It looks like a fun descent but at the base of the bowl it looked a bit rocky and thin, alas, it may be finished for the season. Some people car shuttle the bowl by parking at Meadows, skinning 2800ft up Cascade Express then skiing 4000ft vertical to a 2nd car at White River snowpark. Ala:<br>www.spiritone.com/~carpjam/html/hood/whitervr1.01.html

Right now the Meadows snowdepth is a depressing 85% of average. In fact almost all sites in the Cascades are below average according to NWAC's May 1st Climatlogical report . Amar Andalkar has yet to update his super amazing, much more comprehensive Cascade Snowdepth anlaysis however I believe those results will be Prozac inducing as well.