telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/16/18, 10:17 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Second Ascent
Second Ascent
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Planned Trips: partners wanted
| | |-+  May 20, 2004, Mt. Adams
:
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]  All | Go Down Print
Author Topic: May 20, 2004, Mt. Adams  (Read 10807 times)
curmudgeon

Re: May 20, 2004, Mt. Adams
« Reply #25 on: 05/14/04, 05:21 AM »

Ya kinda want to monitor http://www.cascadeclimbers.com
for Adams approach info.  Right now there seems to be a 6 mile hoof to Cold Springs from the end of the driveable road.  If that doesn't incline you to wait a week or so, you're too young for me to keep up with anyways.

Chris, I would be all over getting a chance to ride (and film) with you on memorial day.  But isn't that reserved for some sort of Shasta shindig?

try:
http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB5&Number=344097&Forum=All_Forums&Words=adams&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=343899 &Search=true&where=sub&Name=&daterange=0&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post344097

(Messed with your link, Tim, it was making the thread way wide -- still seems to work now, so... whatever, eh?)
« Last Edit: 05/21/04, 01:26 PM by ron_j » Logged
Good2Go

« Reply #26 on: 05/21/04, 07:45 AM »

I skied Adams on May 8&9.  Snow blocked the access road about 4 miles from Cold Springs Campground, but it was mostly continuous, so it was much easier on the skin up and return than in past years.  Southwest chutes are in great shape!  If you plan to descend that route, I recommend that you camp at 6,200' off the standard climbing trail and traverse back at that same level from the bottom of the chutes.  (Follows the Round-The-Moutain Trail route, thus, no blockages.)
ron j

« Reply #27 on: 05/21/04, 01:18 PM »

There seems to be a preponderance of folks set on climbing Adams before the road to Cold Springs opens up.  Being both more lazy and patient since becoming a geezer, I'd prefer to wait.  However, in my less patient years I've climbed Adams from Morrison Creek (4680, 3 miles from Cold Springs via the road) and below a few times.  I've walked and skinned up the road to Cold Springs (it's only 3 miles in but it's 9 miles back out :-) ) and I have also done what our gang calls the "Short Horn Shortcut", which saves about 2 miles and is my preferred route when the road to Cold Springs is closed to vehicular traffic.

To do the shortcut you basic take the Short Horn Trail (which begins at the north end of Morrison Creek Campground) north until it starts to veer west (about 5500) and then turn right, heading cross country to the NE on a heading that will take you direct to the south climb summer trail where it picks up the top of the ridge west of the Crescent Glacier.  This NE heading cross country leg seems to work better if you resist the temptation of climbing up in the Morrison Creek drainage; it tends to take you too far to the east.  Following that drainage works pretty well on the ski back out from the south climb, but watch out for the falls (at 5790), they don't ski all that well (get out on skiers right).

If it's warm enough to descend the SW Chutes (and you're not climbing them direct) then I would just leave my camp at 6200 on the cross country leg as Good2Go suggests.  You'll be pretty close to camp when you come back down through the notch at 7000 at the bottom of the chutes; then contour left to 6200 and you should be home (if you set a waypoint for camp  Wink )  Then ski back down the Short Horn (staying to the right of the MC drainage) from there.

Email me if you'd like a map showing the track out from the chutes and some waypoints.

"When I stop having fun I'm turnin' around"
"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." - Niels Bohr
"If a given person makes it a priority not to die in an avalanche, he or she stands a very good chance of living a long, happy life in the mountains." - Jill Fredston
jletts
5Member

« Reply #28 on: 05/25/04, 05:24 PM »

I'm looking to tackle Adams in June and have been researching it quite a bit. However I haven't found anything describing the parking situation at the south trailhead. I've heard the road is narrow and rough. Is a 4x4 necessary in early summer? Will there be parking at the trailhead? Thanks
alpentalcorey

« Reply #29 on: 05/26/04, 08:05 AM »

Supposedly the road was re-graded and no longer a problem since I was last on it (July 2000 if I remember correctly).  I'm sure someone here knows better than I.  When I went, the road definately seemed like a 4x4 road, but when my brother and I got to the TH there were all kinds of cars like Honda Civics etc...  Seemed like plenty of parking, but I'm sure it fills up.
markharf

« Reply #30 on: 05/26/04, 05:31 PM »

In the old days, I always made it up there in all sorts of absurd vehicles (Plymouth Horizon, old Dodge Caravan, etc.), but there were times I wished I'd had more than a few scant inches of clearance.  The roadbed has been upgraded to near-interstate highway standards since then, though there's no telling how it made out during last autumn's big rain event.

Parking tends to fill up on weekends as soon as it's possible to drive to the trailhead, but you can always find a spot partway down the hill.  Folks like Ron, Mad Dog and their ilk like to arrive early, have a relaxing dinner, get to sleep at a reasonable hour, and depart for the summit long before first light.  They also tend to shamelessly clog up all the good parking spots.  At the other end of the spectrum, I like to arrive late (3 AM), sleep long and deeply, and take my sweet time getting under way.  Even so, I've never had to walk more than about a half mile from parking to the trailhead.  
« Last Edit: 05/26/04, 06:37 PM by markharf » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]  All | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.