Home > Trip Reports > May 1, 2004, Coleman-Deming

May 1, 2004, Coleman-Deming

5/1/04
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by wickstad on 5/2/04 8:22pm
The Mrs. and I left the jeep at the hairpin just past mile-post seven on Glacier Creek road at 6am.  Two other summit parties were leaving at the same time.  There was a group of splitboarders leaving as well but I never saw them again.

We followed the well tracked, softsnow route across Grouse Creek, through the forest, up a couple creek gullies to reach the alpine zone where we put skis on.

Easy skinning brought us to the top of the second bowl where we roped up (you would have to go well out of your way to find any crevasses).  

Just below the 9000' saddle between Colfax? and the pumice ridge I noticed one of the other two groups skiing down to climbers left.  Very impressive.  

We decided to boot the ridge and the Roman Wall.  It looked like a push to me and Elisa wanted crampons.

We made the plateau at 4pm.  We decided to forego the true summit due to weather and being slow.

On the descent we decided the Roman Wall was not in shape to ski.  Although we had seen numerous parties tear it up while we were climbing.  There was this rogue wind that plagued us on the ascent that pretty much froze the slope into a form that was unskiable for us.

This wind (which I estimate to have been 45mph and Elisa swears blew from both directions!) threatened to blow us right off the pumice ridge on the way down.  This was high excitement.  I ducked out of the wind at my first opportunity and put on my skis taking care to not lose any gear.

The ski down was really nice to the bottom of the upper bowl.  I got a little too far ahead of Elisa in the lower bowl and waited for her a little nervously.  She skied up and asked me if I noticed that sleeping bag.  "What?"
I turned around and there was what looked like a sleeping bag with somebody in it sliding down the slope.  I watched it for several seconds before I realized I was in a position to do something about it.  I skied over to it and stopped it.  It was a tent.  It took off again but I caught it for good, wrapped it up, and deposited it with a group of skiers camped not too far off; they were enjoying the show.  They agreed to pin it down in hopes that the owner would retrieve it.

By this time the weather was much improved.

Past this point we managed to knock loose large pinwheels and one minor sluff.

We admired tracks from talented skiers in the gullies while we plunge-stepped in fear of going right through for a swim.

We put skis back on at the road and were lucky enough to be able to ski about 3/4 of the way back to the jeep.

If there were 3 in that group of splitboarders you mentioned that was probably myself, Jim (jimjar), and Justin (username).  We were settled in at high camp at ~7000ft. by noon and were the first ones there.  Some skiers laid nice traverse across the bowl from our high camp in the afternoon so we took advantage and did a lap.  We were the first to lay some lines down on skiers left, close to the big rock outcroppings we camped below.  Anyways we witnessed party after party climbing all throughout the day and well into late afternoon ???.  Well about them run-a-way tents...we watched a gust of wind take a tent from high camp around 5ish, never to be seen again.  Next morning was white out conditions.  Trip report is coming.

I think I remember seeing a flying tent. ;) Bummer for the one's who lost it and had to sleep in the rain.

I feel like giving myself a pat on the back for that last group of three that summitted.  As we passed them lounging at camp in the morning I asked if they were coming down.  They said they would probably make an attempt on Sunday.  I informed them of the incoming weather and they changed their plans. On our descent, we passed them as they made their way up the pumice ridge.  The wind was really bad and I thought they might have made a mistake.  But as it turned out the clouds that threatened us on the summit disappeared and I think that party had a wonderful summit all to themselves.

Yeah.  I saw your camp up there.  I thought maybe the tent came from there.  I wonder what became of it.  

You gonna write a TR Jim?  Mine is up on my site now anyhow.

I was going to let you do it Justin but it looks like Eric already got it.

Reply to this TR

may-1-2004-coleman-deming
wickstad
2004-05-03 03:22:05