Home > Trip Reports > May 1, 2004, Mt Hood, Southside

May 1, 2004, Mt Hood, Southside

5/1/04
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Jeff Huber on 5/2/04 11:33am
This past Saturday I skied the southside of Mt. Hood from Hogsback ridge to Timberline lodge. Upon reaching the Hogsback I left my skis then continued to the summit. When I returned to the Hogsback I napped in the warm sun while waiting for the snow to setup. I then skied to Illumination Saddle on still firm snow, took another brief nap, then at 10:30am skied fantastic corn all the way to the "Magic Mile" lift where the snow deteriorated to Zardoz conditions (ie, slush).

The snow near the base of craters rock/devils kitchen area was heavily undulated, rutted and dirty. If I was to do this trip next weekend I would probably leave my skis right at the base of Crater Rock.

I will use my one-photo-per-post pass to enclose a photo looking down thru the Pearly Gates. This area is also heavily undulated and does not look pleasant to ski:
Thanks for the TR. Any day you can nap in the mountains is a good one!

I stopped below the Hogsback on Friday. I was tempted to go on but without an ice axe, climbing experience or a partner my common sense said 'stop'. Am planning to acquire an axe and the knowledge/experience to use it.

We did it on Monday, Jeffey.
The Hogsback, bergy & PG chute were in about the same shape, 'cept the summit was enshrouded in a lenticular.
The ski down from crater rock was also about the same as you described, i.e., pure bliss.
'Course we did the "old timers" version...
pics at:
http://groups.msn.com/WildHeartsSkiing/_albumlist.msnw?pgmarket=en-us

Thanks for the photos Ron! Looks like a fun trip!

Jeffey

Reply to this TR

may-1-2004-mt-hood-southside
Jeff Huber
2004-05-02 18:33:24