Home > Trip Reports > Jan 16, 2010, Peak 7828, Icicle/Jack Ridge

Jan 16, 2010, Peak 7828, Icicle/Jack Ridge

1/16/10
Posted by jwplotz on 1/17/10 4:10am
There is a well-defined peak West of 8 Mile Mountain that has been on mine and Tom Janisch's mind for a couple seasons.  It's way back there, at the end of 8 Mile Creek.  Peak 7828 is one of the high points of Jack Ridge, and looks very inviting from many angles. 

Will (wterrano) joined us from Seattle for this bush bashing fest.  Coverage from 8 Mile T.H. to 8 Mile Lake is usually a chaos of downfall and slide alder.  However, with the little snow we've gotten, the consistently cold temps east of the crest have protected what coverage there is, and the skin to the lake was quick and easy for once. 

Since there's essentially only one creek drainage to follow, route finding was fairly straightforward to our destination.  Breaking out onto the open slopes, the snow conditions improved (understatement here) from a thick rain crust to 5 to 6 inches of powder.  It took us a good 7 hours of constant movement to summit our peak. 

Near the summit the snow was considerably wind-affected and steeper.  I guinea-pigged myself and took the first couple turns from the top.  I ski cut the convexity and it all held, so I interpreted this as the green light and started linking turns.  I experienced an odd sensation as I was descending, until I noticed the slope churning around me and I was sliding on my hip at a good speed.  It was then  that I realized I was in an avalanche.  I was off my feet, landing head uphill sliding with the mass of snow.  With my whippett I dug in as deep as I could and was able to snag the crust and come to a stop as the snow continued downslope.  Tom took a more conservative line,  but still managed to kick loose the hangfire and take a tumbling fall, burying a ski and pole in the process.  Will skied the crust and recovered the lost items, and we all stood there taking stock. 

The crown looked to be 6 to 7 inches, and had propogated appx. 50 to 60 feet.  I was a little shooken, with this having been my closest call to date.  We regrouped and skied the wonderful slopes of powder 2,500' back down to 8 Mile Creek.  The brushwacking back to 8 Mile Road was as strenuous as the ascent, perhaps even more so.  By dark, we were straight lining it in the icy single track back to Bridge Creek C.G. by 6pm. 

Thanks Will and Tom for a great day out!

Peak 7828 is the highest point, middle of photo:
Runout

Looking back up

Sounds like a fun trip.  Glad the scare was only a scare.  Are you able to drive to the parking lot on 8 Mile road?

Another nice one from the icicle creek!

Glad to hear the slide was just a minor lesson.

Glad you all got home safely - looks like a beautiful day.

author=alecapone link=topic=15196.msg63580#msg63580 date=1263794639]
Another nice one from the icicle creek!

Glad to hear the slide was just a minor lesson.

Thanks Ale!  In retrospect the slide really wasn't that big, but you certainly don't realize it when you're in the middle of it with no control anymore.  Sure feels much bigger.

Chris:  The road is closed, meaning a 3 mile approach to the trailhead.

Reply to this TR

jan-16-2010-peak-7828-icicle-jack-ridge
jwplotz
2010-01-17 12:10:55