Home > Trip Reports > January 16, 2009, Yodelin

January 16, 2009, Yodelin

1/16/09
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by danvon on 1/16/10 3:43pm
Peggy, Lyra the dog, and I headed up to see how things were looking.     Skinning up about noonish we had a breakable crust over 4-8" of new.  The new snow was not very cohesive and was pretty light.  Above about 4700' the crust went away and the skiing got pretty darned good.  There was  a fairly hard  layer at maybe 8-12" down but we didn't see anything moving on it other than little sluffs on a few turns. Did a couple of laps in the trees (we really ought to start waking up early) and headed back down.  By the end of the day the crust was much less breakable and made getting down sort of interesting.    Much better than expected overall.
Thanks condtions report. We where wondering how Yodelin would be while riding nearby. Sounds like you got better then we expected as well. Hope the crust wasn't too hard on Lyra.

where there a lot of people there? I thought the mounties where doing a ski touring class outing at yodelin this weekend.

We (2 skiers, 2 splitters) got up early and got a few laps in before the groups showed.  But they seemed more focused on instruction than getting a lot of turns in.

Sunny for most of the day and the conditions were nice up top.  In the trees, I'd even say great, but that might be the talk of a man wandering through the desert and finally being given a glass of water.  The crust more or less went away until right before we got back to our uptrack.

Sounds like you got some fairly good snow and missed the Mountie's. How was Lyra's trail breaking?

We ran into the Mountaineers but they were digging pits, doing beacon practice etc. so were not going up high.  They missed all the good stuff.  Saw maybe a dozen other people-more than usual.  I think the water-in-the-desert theory is exactly right.

I was up there for a few laps in the afternoon.  Saw 10-15 people not including the mtneers.  Excellent snow for about 300 feet of vertical, then it was character building to say the least below that.  My rockered skis seemed to combat the breakable crust in a way that made it almost fun.

Reply to this TR

january-16-2009-yodelin
danvon
2010-01-16 23:43:20