Home > Trip Reports > Jan 14-15, 2010, Sasse Ridge

Jan 14-15, 2010, Sasse Ridge

1/14/10
Posted by Larry_R on 1/15/10 11:01pm

Jane and I managed to luck out again on the weather; the second trip in a row where the weather report was so iffy that I could not decide to go or not until the afternoon before the trip. We skied in on rain rotten snow, and Jane was nice enough to break trail for a good portion of it. I had accidentally taken one of my meds that my doc was having me skip for my trips because of the huge impact it has on my exercise performance. Was I slow; 20 steps and I had to catch my breath.

The message for us 'senior€™ backcountry skiers is don€™t give up because of the effects of the inevitable meds we end up having to take as we get older. Work with your doc to find a solution. The next day, the one that counts, I was back to normal €“ having remembered to follow orders. :)

I thought it a bit much to hope for a few inches of new snow, but Jane and I were delighted to watch it start snow ing about 4 pm. By 8 pm we had maybe 3 inches of *very* heavy new.  Here€™s a pic (below) of shoveling out the tent. I like to keep my tent platform nicely shoveled out because it makes it much easier to avoid getting snow in the tent as I go in and out, fiddling around the campsite. 

Speaking of fiddling, here€™s a pic (below) of me brushing the snow out of  my TLTs with my little custom snow brush. I think a snow brush is mandatory bit of equipment for winter ski camping. REI used to sell them, but I have not seen them for some time. They are not hard to make however; if there is interest I could post something about it. For those not that familiar with TLTs, if you let that rain soaked snow and slush in the toe piece freeze overnight, the toe piece may not work properly and getting the ice out can be a pain.

Friday morning we started up the hill at 6 am via headlight. See the pic below. I always enjoy this part, skinning up in the dark, watching it slowly get light. When we got to the top of the ridge, and knowing that rain was supposed to be coming, we decided to take what we could get. And we got what we came for; 4 or 5 inches of cascade powder and the skiing was great! We got back to the tents about 9 am, and by 10 it began to rain. So we packed up and  skied out in the rain, but that€™s nothing new.

As we were driving out we saw a bunch of our Forest Service friends driving up valley in the pouring rain, getting ready for a snowmobile €“ law enforcement refresher. We were glad we were going the other way.

Nice nitrile gloves! What do you use those for?

author=brownc9 link=topic=15184.msg63538#msg63538 date=1263691541]
Nice nitrile gloves! What do you use those for?

Nitrile gloves are another little necessity for me, especially with my Raynaud's Disease (hands and feet loose circulation with cold exposure).

I use them over my liner gloves whenever the liners might get wet, like setting up the tent, taking skins off, or even adding clothing when the outer layer is soaking wet, etc. It's hard to find nitrile gloves large enough to easily fit over the liner without constricting my fingers.

Speaking of liner gloves, it's getting hard to find the thin knit polyester ones that I think work best for snow camping .  Most of the liners now seem to be sewn from cloth, and although they work fine for day skiing, they are a pain for ski camping.  They can be next to impossible to get on and off when wet for example.

Larry

Reply to this TR

jan-14-15-2010-sasse-ridge
Larry_R
2010-01-16 07:01:14