Home > Trip Reports > 15 Jan Delancy Ridge- North Cascades

15 Jan Delancy Ridge- North Cascades

1/15/10
Posted by Scotsman on 1/15/10 10:14am
Stewart, PNWBrit and I are up here for a few days heli-touring with NCH but no heli today.
Its was puking hard all day and the heli was unable to fly so our guide towed us by snowmobile up to the base of Delancy Ridge .
It was puking about 2" and hour and we skinned 2,500 ft up to the base of steepening section and called it quits there.
The snow was waist deep and light on top but heavy below. The ski down was adventurous due to the conditions and we had several whoomps and we set off an 18" slab, 10m wide, very reactive on a small convex rollover. Our guide did and excellent job of using terrain management to reduce the risk in quite  high avy conditions.
The last 500' to the road had a lovely face with big pillows and we enjoyed that so much we skinned back up and repeated it for a total of 3,000 ft human powered ascent.
No pics as it was snowing so hard.
Skis cleared tonight so hopefully we'll get our heli drop off tomorrow.
Nice! Glad to hear you all got some. I figured even if the avy danger was high you all would still find a way. Have fun tomorrow, and try to take a few pics so the rest of us can salivate over them.

Nice!!

I'm glad to hear of the nukage in my homeland. I might be heading back there in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the stoke.

Heres some pics of today! Bluebird and powder. Doesn't get much better then this.

Reply to this TR

15-jan-delancy-ridge-north-cascades
Scotsman
2010-01-15 18:14:36