Home > Trip Reports > January 9-10 Romeo and July Peaks, Coquihalla, BC

January 9-10 Romeo and July Peaks, Coquihalla, BC

1/15/10
Canada BC
Posted by ema on 1/10/10 1:03pm
Romeo, Romeo, where art thou Romeo?... Up on the Coq fer sure, eh. Grabbed our toques and a two-four and headed North for a couple days. Found good snow at elevation and skied some nice steeper lines on Romeo Peak (via Juliet Cr. Rd.) and July Peak (via North July Cr. Rd.) Wish we could have enjoyed another day up there, but as I write, I am beginning to hear the warm rain pound on my skylight. Stacy mentioned he liked Romeo Peak better, and I would have to agree...longer lines and a nice couloir down the  North side, which we skied. Motorized access tools were used to gain 1500 M in Juliet Cr. and 1800+ M in July Cr. Basin. A bit of sledding was had as well...Thanks for the great weekend Stacy!
Tidbit- not to be confused with Timbit. Andrew McCulloch, who engineered the complex series of bridges and tunnels through Coquihalla Canyon was an avid reader of Shakespeare and would often recite passages from the plays to his workers around the evening campfires. As a result, many of the areas in the Coquihalla Region are named after characters in Shakespearean literature, such as Iago, Romeo, Juliet, Lear, Jessica, Shylock and Portia.

Although I may have reflected moments of despair, conditions surpassed expectations, and we were rewarded with some novel lines that get hit with little to no frequency. Thanks for all of your reconnaissance efforts in making this adventure happen on short notice.

looks like you had a lot of fun!  cool to ski something different.
what was the ski penetration and the stability?

This report doth sooth my savage beast. For sure thou hast posted stoke of immersurable beauty and the stap of jealousy is but like the pang of an icy knife that cutteth through my desires. ( My attempt at Shakesperian)

Hell of a nice place to put a ski hill toby

Monika, ski pen was 6" I am guessing. Stability was good, especially up higher. Stacy and I were planning on only skiing low angle slopes when we left the sleds because there were obvious instability clues down low (huge settlement of snowpack). Big change with elevation.

Scotsman, very nice use of the language. I wish I could write like that!

Lee, I hope it never happens...I've seen the plans and there would be a lodge on the top of Romeo, a stew nazi inside serving stew and a rope across the biggest line we skied with a skull and crossbones...

The territorial view of Romeo's Slot....Toby's first pic.

Reply to this TR

january-9-10-romeo-and-july-peaks-coquihalla-bc
ema
2010-01-10 21:03:43