Home > Trip Reports > Jan 9, 2010, Slot to Snow Lake

Jan 9, 2010, Slot to Snow Lake

1/15/10
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Monika on 1/9/10 9:46am
Spoke with one of my girlfriends Ashlie this week. She's newer to this whole sliding endeavor and told me she's been out every weekend "no matter how bad the conditions are just to get the exposure" !   Well that's more than I can say and I've been missing getting out in Dec. 

So I'll confirm your suspicions about the conditions today.   I exposed myself to much rain crust 1/4 - 1" breakable and non breakable, a little sunshine and softer conditions above the clouds at 5000', very transitory places of 1" soft snow where the rain had missed on the phantom.  The best snow, softer, smoother was the exit of the Slot, hardly rain crust in the slot, just choppy.  Conditions up and over to Snow and Source Lakes became thicker glass crust.  Ski crampons mandatory, wouldn't have been sad to have crampons, the Phantom is very lean for snow and an axe was helpful a couple places.

Yeah tough conditions but good to get out   8)  Views the last 1000' up to the slot were beautiful.  sorry no pics, mein Kamera ist kaputt.

Anyone know/think the conditions would be raincrustfree around Blewett or Jolly mt.??
Nice work...

Blewett's been pretty bony for a while and I don't think they've gotten much more new snow in the last few weeks.  Larry_R posted a Sasse ridge TR which might give you some ideas for Jolly...

Way to go, Monika. Sorry I wimped out. I think.

A few of us did Jolly on Sunday.  The crust was everywhere.  Very sucky.  East of the crest is no better.

author=Scottk link=topic=15114.msg63310#msg63310 date=1263308183]
A few of us did Jolly on Sunday.  The crust was everywhere.  Very sucky.  East of the crest is no better.

thanks Scottk.
guess next time i'll yo-yo the top 1000' of the phantom ;)

No crust at Cougar Mountain last weekend. But now snow either (pretty light and nice hike for the lucky dog, though). Recent reports are reminding me of New England rain crusts of the variety where one hazard was cutting my face if I fell...

Nice job making the hard core sound casual!

We did a short tour up to the base of Snoqualmie Mt via (S-SW of) Cave Ridge on Sunday and as expected the crust was terrible!  I guess we didn't get enough elevation (above 5k ft) to get the softer snow :( 

We actually considered Granite Mt on the way out to the pass, but it looked a bit boney... anyone have any conditions on Granite's S-SW face (... haven't seen any TRs this season) ?

Time to go find some snow.
Do  the Volcanoes have good ski conditions above x feet?
Where would one go out of state?

Unfortunately, it's time to start hauling in snow making machines into the bc.  Unless, you happen to be one of the more fortunate ones (Lani) benefitting from this split in the jet.

The FLs have gone through the roof north of the border, too, buddy.  Let's go to the Alps.

Way to go Monika!!  You are the studliest Lange Girl Ever!

All the best to Ryan for a strong comeback - hang in there, patience buddy!

I can report no crust on all aspects and elevations around Baker ski area - Artist Point, Swift Creek, Mt Ann, Mt Herman, Herman Saddle, Table Mountain, Mazama Bowl, Coleman Pinnacle as of Sunday.  Rain on Friday and Saturday to high elevations obliterated the crust.  Sunday was spring "water logged corn like" conditions.

This just in:  Mucho snow @ Paradise today. and FL below 5500'.

(Check telemerty.  It's true)

Reply to this TR

jan-9-2010-slot-to-snow-lake
Monika
2010-01-09 17:46:19