Home > Trip Reports > january 7, 2010; slalok, north face

january 7, 2010; slalok, north face

1/15/10
Posted by skykilo on 1/8/10 1:41am
skied north face of slalok with jason, kyle, and new friend paul yesterday.  stayed at keith's hut the previous night.  nice consolidated powder in the trees.  various types of wind-affected snow in the alpine, with the occasional isolated hard slab.  no problem crossing matier glacier; gaining the ridge to the top of slalok featured a wee spot of suspect hollow snow over the rocks in a thought-provoking position, but the snow itself felt reassuringly dense there. 

north face of slalok offers a beautiful fall line of 1000 m (+) to the upper joffre lake.  then a quick run to the highway from there.  conditions were as follows: windpacked pow, winpacked pow over slab, slab over slab, and finally pristine powder.  slabs were all large and "stable enough."

thanks for a great day, everybody.  here's a nice picture of the route:
http://danielwheeler.smugmug.com/Canada/Sea-to-Sky-British-Columbia/Upper-Joffre-Lake/63517732_8rAHy-L-1.jpg

(now at least my version exists before other styles of descriptions hit the tubes.)
noiyce, looks a little bony in your picture, global warming i guess eh?

Slalok's Stonecrop Face was one of the highlights of my 07-08 ski season. Top to bottom blower pow!!! Brings back good memories. Nice job.

Reply to this TR

january-7-2010-slalok-north-face
skykilo
2010-01-08 09:41:14