Home > Trip Reports > January 3, 2010, Heliotrope area, Mt baker

January 3, 2010, Heliotrope area, Mt baker

1/3/10
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by sb on 1/6/10 12:23am
The snow that fell 1/1 and 1/2 dried out on top and densified lower down by 1/3, becoming excellent deep, slightly heavy powder.  Unexpectedly, the sun came out.  It stayed cold. Pretty close to perfect. It's all gone now, I presume.  Good snow was from 4100 feet and up.  I went with Dave, a splitboarder who wanted to learn to  teletour on the appropriate routes.  I didn't know how boarding skills would transfer, but, in the event, he did just fine.  No trouble at all.
How far were you able to drive, and how were driving conditions?

dave haunback? not sure how to spell his last name...

I'm thinking about heading up that way soon. Really wish it would snow first though!!!

Have you ever been up the back side of Marmot Ridge via Road #38? and found those two small ponds? Google earth it... Might do that tomorrow, south side stuff in the sun. We shall see....

We could drive almost to the snowmobilers turnoff at Rd 36 just short of the Heliotrope trailhead.  Yes Dave Heinbach is the one.  Yes, I have been up Rd 38 to where you could look at Marmot Ridge.  I'd like to go up there again for a longer trip. 

FYI, the end of rd. 38 puts you at a point where you can see Grouse Ridge. Didn't  seem clear to me reading sb's post...

Reply to this TR

january-3-2010-heliotrope-area-mt-baker
sb
2010-01-06 08:23:24