Home > Trip Reports > January 03, 2010, Mt Price

January 03, 2010, Mt Price

1/3/10
Posted by skykilo on 1/4/10 12:15am
Mt Price is an awesome ski tour on the shore of Garibaldi Lake closest to the Rubble Creek approach.

Given my experiences so far this season, I have nothing but high praise for El Nino from this side of the border.  The snow came deep and early; more importantly, I don't think there are fatal flaws taking deep cover.

Peace and blessings.
Mr. El Nino was paid off by VANOC. Thanks for the report. Hope to see more from you from up North...

Beautiful!  Did Rainbow up there last year and as the rain pours down outside, I think I need to head north again.  Did you do this in a day or stay in a hut?  Thanks.

We did it in a day, but there are several huts around the lake.

Hey skykilo, you didn't say how the ski down the trail was or did you take a run down the Barrier?

El Nino has been pretty harsh on Vancouver's local North Shore mountains and in the Howe Sound area. What we're finding is that the snow line is several hundred meters higher than is normal. Lots of good local trips aren't possible right now, which means more driving and more greenhouse gases.

I hear you, *stoked*.  Personally, I don't take a lot of stock in the North Shore mountains (character flaw of mine?); a little extra driving or *hiking* isn't much of an added carbon footprint compared to, eg, the olympic games; finally, I'm guilty of being an optimist.  I'll pour out a little liquor in honor of your added mileage tonight.

Look at it from a broader perspective.  Do you realize how far the hordes in the Puget Sound need to drive to get to decent skiing!?

We skied the trail.  I find the ski down the trail to be quite stimulating.  I love doing it at dusk and seeing the sparks when I hit thin spots.

author=skykilo link=topic=15041.msg63006#msg63006 date=1262724912]

Look at it from a broader perspective.  Do you realize how far the hordes in the Puget Sound need to drive to get to decent skiing!?

...the slot's about 45min from downtown seattle.  I suppose everyone in BC just rolls out of bed and into their ski boots?  ::)

If you drive with your ski boots on you can get to the Slot in 40 minutes.

author=Marcus link=topic=15041.msg63011#msg63011 date=1262725753]
If you drive with your ski boots on you can get to the Slot in 40 minutes.

yeah, but I like to have my boots already in my bindings so they're ready to go when I hit the trailhead

glad to see you, or anybody, getting some good touring in.  thanks for the report.  can't wait to get up there to feast N of the border...

That's interesting.  I consider these to be somewhat impressive feats:
*driving from downtown Seattle (HONK) to the Alpental lot in 45 minutes 
*comparing the terrain at Snoqualmie Pass to the terrain found an equal distance up 99.

Maybe you could further educate me.  I used to live in Seattle, but I was too busy to really take advantage of the local touring opportunities.

;) (<= this winky is dedicated to the honorable markharf; I know he loves 'em)

author=trees4me link=topic=15041.msg63008#msg63008 date=1262725232]
...the slot's about 45min from downtown seattle.  I suppose everyone in BC just rolls out of bed and into their ski boots?   ::)

I'm clearly missing something, I assumed that your 1500m peaks were comparable to our 5000ft peaks...  I clearly didn't convert for the latitude change.  ;D

oops.

Reply to this TR

january-03-2010-mt-price
skykilo
2010-01-04 08:15:11