Home > Trip Reports > January 2-3, 2010, Bagley Peak / Marmot Ridge

January 2-3, 2010, Bagley Peak / Marmot Ridge

1/2/10
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by ema on 1/3/10 11:46am
Tim Place and I cycled Bagley Peak out of the upper baker ski area parking lot on Sat. There was 19"+ of new snow that fell at temps. of 30-32F. Visibility was fair and avalanche conditions were rated at high for 4k and extreme at higher elevations. I agreed with Tim when he said that he was observing just the opposite. Snow was less reactive up higher. No natural activity was seen and skiers were testing East to NE facing slopes with nothing more than sluffs. As the day wore on, lower elevations were becoming more reactive and we left when we sensed this...On Sunday, we skied Marmot Ridge in the sunshine!! Views were great and skiing took place on nice, cold wind deposited snow. Vehicle access is still very good and will likely remain so for the week. There is a "no wheeled vehicles" sign at the upper snopark, but I doubt any enforcement is valid, since there is bare road and tire tracks beyond mile 7.
Also, there is a very distinct snow line in the Nooksack Valley!

Thanks for the weekend hospitality and company, Toby.

Besides some pretty decent skiing, I finally got my mind around the idea of an approach sled. They are not evil, they are NOT!! Sleds are my friend.

author=tim_place link=topic=15029.msg62867#msg62867 date=1262577650]
Sleds are my friend.

Sledheads are my friends, especially old retired ones with secret ski stashes.

Even when I don't know who made the sled track, I am thankful for the extra laps it allows me when I don't have to break as much trail.

2010 -- year of the Olympics, and of the Sled.

Reply to this TR

january-2-3-2010-bagley-peak-marmot-ridge
ema
2010-01-03 19:46:16