Home > Trip Reports > January 2, 2010, Snoqualmie Pass

January 2, 2010, Snoqualmie Pass

1/2/10
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 1/2/10 9:43am
Today was a big win for telemetry - we headed out fully apprised that the freezing level was ~4000',  but we had high hopes for the snow above. Slogging up from the Pass in the rain was unpleasant, and one of our hardy four turned back just below the snowline and Dynateled to the car for one of his trademark hitchhiking hijinks. The remaining three tromped up above 5k and found pleasant turns in heavy but smooth snow.

Lots of whumphing on open slopes above ~3800'. Whumph propagation seemed unlimited - 70m+. We played it safe and stuck to lower angled slopes and hid in the trees. A few test slopes moved at the subsurface crust, but nothing we were willing to test failed spectacularly.

Snow consisted of varying amounts, up to boot-top, of fairly heavy new atop the widely-reported soft crust. Above 5k, skiing was mighty fun, especially in the open. The trees had a few inches of new atop a supportable crust.  Above 4k, the snow was quite heavy, but turns were still fun. Below 3800ish, the snow was unpleasant. Snowed in light to moderate showers all day above ~4k, rain below. 

Fun day with friends, new and old!
It was indeed a fun day out. A bit of a gear test below 4K for sure. But that was totally worth enduring for the beauty and fun above.

The whumphing, while sub-optimal, was definitely a cool sound. I believe I could hear the  crust some inches down cracking added into the usual sound.

author=trumpetsailor link=topic=15021.msg62837#msg62837 date=1262483010]
one of our hardy four turned back just below the snowline and Dynateled to the car for one of his trademark hitchhiking hijinks.

Without even knowing who was in your party, I believe I may recognize this skier. ;)

Way to persevere!  Glad you got some.  Thanks for the funny story about the hitchhiker.

here a link to a few photos and one video from the venture!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11723786@N06/sets/72157623013415125/

Reply to this TR

january-2-2010-snoqualmie-pass
Charlie Hagedorn
2010-01-02 17:43:30