Home > Trip Reports > 12.30.09 - Ellinor - ONP

12.30.09 - Ellinor - ONP

12/15/09
WA Olympics
Posted by Stugie on 1/2/10 4:13am
Snow Bell and I headed out on Wednesday, hoping for some filled in terrain and a decent amount of fresh snow. We met on the peninsula and by the time we reached the lower TH, I was pushing snow with the front of the Suburu.  A good sign, however, also a good place to park.

Getting ready.

We skinned up through some sparsely covered terrain, eventually reaching the deeper snow we had hoped for.  Proceeding up, we finally took off the skins and began to hoof it.  Snow conditions were expected to be somewhat unstable, but we were surprised to find the new snow somewhat bonded to the prominent crust layer underneath.  Our quickpits confirmed our speculations, but still we climbed cautiously noting the many terrain traps that lie in wait.  Some wind slab formation was observed, but most of the day we spent making great turns, enjoying some laughs, and being awed by the incredible terrain around us.  A great day overall.  Thanks for a good time out Snow Bell!  Here's a few more pics...

Summit

Taking it all in
I'm glad that you caught that photo at the car.  It was a beautiful morning.

We made it about halfway to the "middle " TH before we were pushing a little too much snow.  I wouldn't be surprised if it will be the last day to drive to the lower TH for awhile. 

Good times.
Thank you Stugie.

Reply to this TR

12-30-09-ellinor-onp
Stugie
2010-01-02 12:13:51