Home > Trip Reports > dec 23-27 Wallowas, Salt Creek and Wing Ridge

dec 23-27 Wallowas, Salt Creek and Wing Ridge

12/15/09
Posted by pabloson on 12/30/09 4:03am
My wife and I (and dog) had several days of nice, if avalanchey, skiing in the Wallowas.  Several of the locals have created a great avalanche forecast web site there:  http://www.wallowaavalanchecenter.org/html/december_25__2009.html
which was very helpful.  People met in parking lot were very helpful as well and volunteered cautions were flying all around. 

We ended up doing a lot of XC in safe zones and I did a little downhill on slopes < 25% and bush/tree anchored, but even that felt iffy.  I have never seen such instability!  It was crackin' and whumphing all over.  Luckily the snow is so light over there that I can have a fast/fun run on a gentler slope.

Snow pack is quite slim with early season obstacles.  There was about 6-8 inches of fresh pow with good staying power for the 5 days we were there.  In the photo, I skied the little hill in the foreground to the right which provided 1000 feet of vert.
Glad you had a safe trip, it sounds like tough conditions!  It's great they've started up the avy reports this year, much needed.

I'm heading down at the end of March, hopefully they'll get some snow this year...

Reply to this TR

dec-23-27-wallowas-salt-creek-and-wing-ridge
pabloson
2009-12-30 12:03:30