Home > Trip Reports > Mazama Dome 12/29/2010

Mazama Dome 12/29/2010

12/15/09
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by James Wells on 12/29/09 1:31pm
Telemon, DHoward, and I  set out a few minutes after 10 from the back parking lot.  As we passed the lakes and got ready to climb up to Herman Saddle, we saw a lone figure skiing down Table in our direction.  It was Mangerk who, dissatisfied with our planned leisure schedule, had decided to get an extra run in before joining us.  Just short of Herman Saddle, we cut back on a skin track and then up the boot track to the saddle just E of Mazama Dome.  Telemon stuck to his guns and skinned up the whole way, then explained to us why in some detail.

In the bowl down to the lake at the head of Anderson Creek, we found very nice powder (big contrast to sun-hammered crust on the SE facing slopes on the way up to there).  We scoped a line that was just east of the Mazama Dome summit but got concerned about a layer of ice about 8" down - if all the powder sluffed away, it would be a 45 degree skating rink with lots of  powder moving down to a terrain trap.  Looks like a great line for another day.

Anyway three nice powder laps down to the lake and then on the return we found some late day powder on anything north-facing from Herman Saddle in the shade of Table.  The day was way too short due to being December, there was plenty of great skiing still to do.

Telemon dropped and lost his camera somewhere on the way down from the Mazama Dome Saddle to the car, I'm sure a beer reward is offered.  Other than that, a great day especially considering the mixed forecast.  Hopefully DHoward (having the non-lost camera) will post some pix.

A little photographic evidence of the day's doings.

More evidence can be seen here.

Good ones, thanks Don!

Good times, thanks again for letting me ski with you guys.. Nice photos.. see you guys on the next one..

I just got back from my search mission. I tried to look for spots that the camera was likely to have come out of its pouch. No joy to report and, in fact, the skiing wasn't even joyful.The falling snow made visibility difficult, but what was worse, was the flat light. Suffering from a head cold and a poor night's sleep, my body began to have serious vertigo issues, so I could not spend the time that I wanted searching the spot where I had attempted to put away the camera. I believe that I lost the camera in the creek drainage and that it will not likely reveal itself until late spring. But if by chance someone does come across a silver Pentax Optio W60, I would greatly appreciate getting it back.

As for yesterday, it was a spectacular day that far excelled the weather forecast and snow reviews.Even the run out to Bagley Lakes provided pockets of decent powder. I am truly sorry that I can not provide further photographic evidence. Thanks for your contribution dhoward. And thanks to the the rest of the crew for putting up with a tired, old telemarker.

Reply to this TR

mazama-dome-12-29-2010
James Wells
2009-12-29 21:31:38