Home > Trip Reports > Union and Jove Peaks 12.28.09

Union and Jove Peaks 12.28.09

12/15/09
Posted by heinzsd on 12/29/09 5:41am
Eric and I skied up over Union to Jove,  Not knowing the route to union we took the slope from the logging road straight on.  Varied conditions with breakable crust and hard-pack made some exposure sporty.  Ski crampons were handy.  Summited Union and skied the ridge to Jove.  Mixed of light powder and breakable crust.  Starting skinning up hardpack to Jove until we switch to Bootpack 400' shy of summit.  Summit really has some amazing views tucked in by glacier.    We opted for the known south face despite my concerns of breakable crust.  Top was carvable hardpack followed by a mix of powder and very skiable ( aggressively) breakable crust.  1000' down on the sheltered low angle slopes we hit some fantasic powder.  6-8" all the way to the logging road. Once we hit the powder the day went from,  fun day good summits,  to wahooooo!.  I have videos but am have trouble finding a good format and site to post to.  Will update when I get that figured out.
Did you guys head straight up from the hairpin? We were up there Sunday and it was not easy skinning or riding. We pulled the plug before getting to the top of Union, but it sounds like you found decent snow.

We went about 3 to 400 yards around the hairpin before heading uphill.  The skinning was very difficult and we expected the same conditions down. Did you try ski crampons?  made life much easier as the conditions changed between the sliding breakable crust and steep hardpack.    Fortunately thats not how it ended up.  It seemed like the inversion and elements ruined the high exposed slopes and the lower slopes have stayed fresh for a while. 

Looks like some nice snow gentlemen...at least nicer than what we saw on Rainier. ;)

Nice...Did it seem like NW facing conditions might have been the better? I was wondering how the runs might have been going down to Lake Janice.

Kinda curious how you ended up with that third photo... It seems like you are heading off  to the east towards labarynth or something?

We did consider heading down towards lake Janus but it was more dense trees and I was concerned that the traverse through the trees would take a while. Skinning up, we didn't find the snow to be any better in the trees. I suspect the hard surface at the top of Jove had something to do with the recent temperature inversion. That said, the snow coming down from Union Peak to the Union-Jove saddle was kinda nice -- that's a NE aspect. It's a shame we couldn't do any real turns there since it was mostly a sidehill downward traverse.

The 3rd photo was taken from forest road 6700 on the way back to Smith Brook:

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=47.810403933053514~-121.0627901946289&lvl=14&sty=r&sp=Point.rz1f5k4xc0jc_Photo%20taken%20here____&where1=Jove%20Peak

Reply to this TR

union-and-jove-peaks-12-28-09
heinzsd
2009-12-29 13:41:18