Home > Trip Reports > December 26, 2009, Grouty Peak, BC

December 26, 2009, Grouty Peak, BC

12/26/09
Canada BC
Posted by ema on 12/28/09 6:29am
Decided to find some good snow up North. It was very cold in the valleys (8 F) while more moderate, and tolerable as you climbed higher. Grouty Peak sits off of Railroad Pass which is between Pemberton and Bralorne. Sylvie and I took sleds approx. 25km to gain the pass at 1400m and skinned from there. Snow was affected in a thin band of inversion from about 1600m to 1700m. Below this was boot top, cold blower pow and above was lightly textured wind buffed powder. The Pemberton Valley was blanketed in cold, dry powder. Beautiful, sunny day!
I'm happy for you but crying inside!
Very Nice.

Oh man....i"m jellass....hasn't been fresh snow over here since February! Hope to be back in time for the harvesting of the fresh pow. Enjoy Walmart!

SM

I found similar conditions off Duffy - about boot high powder/facets on top of a somewhat spongy crust - made for surprisingly nice turns. All north facing runs - some received a few hours of sunshine but otherwise in the shadow. Pemberton east didn't seem to be as affected by the inversion. No wind & not a cloud in the sky.

Reply to this TR

december-26-2009-grouty-peak-bc
ema
2009-12-28 14:29:52