Home > Trip Reports > December 26, 2009, - Mount St. Helens Worm Flows

December 26, 2009, - Mount St. Helens Worm Flows

12/26/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by bradbartick on 12/27/09 10:41am
Skiied a little at Worm Flows out of Marble Mountain Snow Park on MSH.  This was on Saturday, 12/26.  Gale force winds scoured most of the snow off the deck higher up on the mountain.  Exposed, hard ice was all that remained.  Ditched my skis somewhere above treeline and hoofed it in my Scarpa Matrix boots and an ice axe (sans crampons, which were tucked safely away at home, dangit) to about 7500 feet with two climbers.  Turned back at an icy section that I envisioned screaming down without crampons on the descent.  Up to that point, I was front pointing into ice about 1 CM for 50-60 paces at a time.  At any rate, I bailed.  Winds were probably 40mph with gusts to 60+.  Worm Flows is an easy ridge climb, but there were lots of wind-loaded areas on west facing slopes.  Maybe next time!  brad
What are the roads like going up to Marble right now?

Roads are good.  Some snow/ice on the last 4 miles but there were cars in the parking lot so they must have been okay.  I have a 2WD Toyota 4runner (I guess it is really a 2runner) and I slid a tiny bit but was fine.  Bring chains in case if you are worried but it was nicely plowed the whole way.  Enjoy.  If you have plans to hit it up, reply back to this post and maybe I'll join you.  Brad

Reply to this TR

december-26-2009-mount-st-helens-worm-flows
bradbartick
2009-12-27 18:41:19