Home > Trip Reports > December 25, 2009, Yodelin

December 25, 2009, Yodelin

12/25/09
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Tomahawk on 12/26/09 12:45am
New to WA, my wife and I are transplants from the mountainless land of way north Wisconsin, and we're trying to find our way around.  What a great state you've got here.  Ran up this Yodelin area I've seen TR'ed here, and caught some free turns this morning.  Nice and fast with a few inches of feathery stuff on a solid crust.
Nice Christmas present you got yourself Anthony. :)  Thanks for the words and photos describing conditions, did you find wind affected snow anywhere?

It was pretty still all the way up, and there wasn't evidence of any previous loading that I observed.  Keep in mind tho, my powers of observation are pretty questionable.  I'm making an effort to learn as much as I can about what snow does on mountains, but this is pretty new to me still.

On that note, I will say that I was going to ski this same area a couple Wednesdays ago when all that snow was had.  I was pretty cagey considering the conditions, but I wanted to at least take a look at the snow.  This whole whoomphing thing isn't something I've heard before, but when I heard/felt it happen over a probably 100 sq.ft. area and knock the snow off the trees, that got the ol' ticker racing!  Enuf to get me out of there at least.  Interesting stuff tho.

hey there! we skinned in your skintrack all morning this morning! thanks for setting it!

beautiful day at yodelin today (12/26), bluebird, stable, surprisingly good conditions (as tomahawk said, surface hoar on a firm crust), minimal wind affect on the northfacing shaded slopes.  we might head back tomorrow.

Heh -- I recognize that pic.  Nice work getting out in the sun today, Nikki.

Nice looking turn ikkin!!

Thanks, I was curious how yodelin would have rode today.

alecapone! sorry we missed you yesterday buddy! i'm bad with cell phones and finally got your message yesterday afternoon. hope you had fun wherever you went. we'll hook up next time.

Reply to this TR

december-25-2009-yodelin
Tomahawk
2009-12-26 08:45:12