Home > Trip Reports > April 25, 2004, Kearsarge Area, Sierra Nevada

April 25, 2004, Kearsarge Area, Sierra Nevada

4/25/04
US elsewhere
Posted by Zap on 4/27/04 5:53am
After our Mexico adventure with a slight detour to San Diego to walk on the beach, we returned to the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  What a welcome relief from the sea level existence and 90 degree temperatures of the past week.  Drove the Onion Valley road that heads west from Independence, CA.  The road was clear to its terminus at 9200 feet.  I love to drive to elevation and put on the skins.  We took a variant of the Independence Creek approach route which required harscheisen.  Trust me Jill, it will be great.  We climbed past an old pulley that was attached to a tree that had supported a rope tow from another era.  Climbing around boulders and trees with character which provided numerous photo stops.  We arrived in the Kearsarge Basin and were surrounded by Independence Peak, Nameless Pyramid, Mt. Gould, Dragon Peak and Kearsarge Peak.  The basin is full of lakes still partially frozen yet showing their aqua color. There are chutes, bowls and couloirs plus tree skiing. Wow.  We did not see anyone on the slopes.  The return route provided smiles and a few jump turns on the steeper face.  Again we skied to the parking lot and walked fifty yards to the camper.  I love it here.

Zap
Sounds like a great trip, Zap.
Thanks for sharing it.

Reply to this TR

april-25-2004-kearsarge-area-sierra-nevada
Zap
2004-04-27 12:53:05