Home > Trip Reports > December 23, 2009, Mt. Roosevelt (skier summit)

December 23, 2009, Mt. Roosevelt (skier summit)

12/23/09
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by silaswild on 12/23/09 7:22am
Five of us began skinning from upper Alpental lot around 830am in crisp, calm conditions.  There was a nice track up to Source Lake, with 2-4" fresh atop a firm base over Snow Lake col, across the lake, and up the Chair Peak circumnavigation route. We headed up the final 500' in slightly deeper snow, booting the steepest part. 

We descended in excellent snow and dramatic winter light.  The light was quite a bit flatter on the final run to Source Lake, and the ride out to the cars was surprisingly comfortable.

Conditions were perfectly stable. No pit was dug, so no technical details.
Beautiful views and dang fine skiing! Destination was the snowy peak directly above lead guy's red beanie.

Technical crux of both ascent & descent

Nice! This report get my jones on. And so close to home. Thanks for sharing.

Sorry. Gotta add some shots of the other guys!

Way to use the stability and easy travel conditions!

I was gonna call you guys but ended up having to do an errand in town first thing in the AM, so decided to head up elsewhere in the area with my dog. He usually doesn't come skiing due to some mild hip issues, but I took the gamble that he'd have easy travel on top of the crust and indeed he did (else I'd have had to bail from the outing). We found similar conditions ranging from 1-5" of new on the crust. I had the most fun on lower angle slopes - steeper stuff sounded much like skiing at a New England ski area after a typical warm/cold event. The dog loved the trip, so I'm glad I used the conditions to get him out.

I also didn't dig any pits - it seemed quite unlikely that we'd get any sliding beneath the recent crust, which was mostly walkable. We could use a few feet more snow to better cover some of the obstacles in the lower woods and open areas.

more pics here

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7980408

wow, looks like it was an awesome day guys!!  nice looking turns!

Way to get it!

Awesome tour and great photos!  Now I need to go ski Roosevelt and see it for myself ...

Reply to this TR

december-23-2009-mt-roosevelt-skier-summit
silaswild
2009-12-23 15:22:24